Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just bought a new 07. Love it, need to equip it with barf bags for that crazy turning radius.

I have a few question for you veterans out there that may seem silly, but none the less, I must ask:

1) Is there a way to turn off the warning beep when in reverse and the backup camera is active?

2) Can anyone point me to a good thread where some good dash covers are discussed?

3) I bought the cord for the Aux jack in the arm rest glove box for my IPod and it works great as long as you control everything from the IPod. I've seen some kits to encorporate the functionality into the existing dashboard monitor, any thoughts on this? Best choice?

4) Any thoughts on the "shark fin" replacement antenna versus the existing "remote control car" looking factory antenna?

Thanks much folks for your advice. Glad to be a member.

·
Registered
991 Posts
1) I haven't disabled mine.. but I know there are directions here on the forums for them.. If you do want to do this, I would wait a little while so you get used to the car.. I've found the BEEP is very useful when you think you are in reverse but you are NOT.. and the only way I know to double check the gears is because my car is not beeping.. The shift stick is very easy to toggle, and when we get lazy the car may not go to where we are expecting.. If you're that confident that you will check that you are in drive/reverse before hitting the gas, then by all means.. jump to disable it :)

2) Don't have one of these.. but I've seen some that do. Its such a pretty textured dash!! Be warned that if anything falls into that bottom area below the MPH area, it will block the MPH from being shown (paper, cloth, etc.) so make sure it is secured well.

3) There are often group buys for this.. I already paid enough for the ipod not willing to pay more so I can use it on the touch screen :p

4) Is this basically the Toyota antenna that is stubby? That's what they called it at least.. the owner I saw that had it didn't seem to mind it, he felt special since no one else did! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phish,

Thanks much for the quick turnaround on the reply.

You have a very good point on the reverse activated beep. I will chew on that one.

I guess I should be more conservative since I did forget how to start the car twice this week. Perhaps the beep should stay awhile.

The IPod situation is not a must have just a nice to have. It actually sounds really good via the Aux jack in the arm rest.

The dash is a have to have. The sun here is relentless and it is more for survival of the dash than a nice to have. I'll keep looking on the site for more info. I'm hoping to find one that has a slight cover to aid in the viewability of the screen.

Thanks much for your insight.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Oh yes.. I've seen hardcover and soft versions of small little covers that cover over the MFD by the way.. to help with the sun brightness (aside from a dash cover).

http://www.wakeup.to/priusdisplayhood has some.. there also used to be someone here that would sell a non-leather version of the console cover for $20 and would even embroider PRIUS or something onto it.. that's what I ended up getting.. I find that it starts to rub and the cloth isn't that thick to withstand the rubbing! :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
DICE and VAIS are the two IPod adapters others say work best in controlling the IPod from the screen/steering wheel. Since the MFD/HU doesn't understand IPOD, the adapters had to emulate a CD or MD changer.

MFD = MultiFunction display
HU = Head Unit
MD = Mini Disk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Beep!

I don't see the need for a reverse beep at all. I've been driving numerous cars for the past 20 years and none have had a reverse beep. It was annoying to say the least and I've disabled it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Beep!

Dave07Prius said:
I don't see the need for a reverse beep at all. I've been driving numerous cars for the past 20 years and none have had a reverse beep. It was annoying to say the least and I've disabled it.

Dave
I think the reason they did it is because it is more difficult in the Prius to know that you have shifted into reverse than with other cars. With other cars, the shifter is physically moved and stays there. That is hard to mistake. With the Prius, you can think you have moved it enough and/or long enough and it might not be in reverse. You may have not had your foot on the break. Also, with a normal automatic transmission, you can feel the car lurch a certain amount when you shift into any gear so you get additional feedback when you shift from drive to reverse as well.

My guess is that they were afraid that people might think they shifted into reverse, miss the fact that the box on the dash isn't around the R, put their foot on the gas and go the wrong way. You can certainly see where that is more likely for the Prius than other cars. Now did they do that to help the driver or reduce their liability? I don't know the answer to that one.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Dave,

While I was post'g an answer to redwein's last question in the Q & A category, he was busy here post'g an answer to your last comment. I am in total agreement with redwein. That's exactly what I was going to tell you, only he did it more eloquently. Not to be insult'g about your judgement nor to bring you bad luck, but if someday you back into something (think'g you were going to go forward in D) & crunch it & your car, remember you were warned here. Just some friendly advice from somebody it almost happened to, had it not been for that infernal beeper. It saved me & I'm appreciative of it for that reason.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I recommend leaving the reverse beep on until you have drive the Prius for a few months. I have the beep active with my 04. It has saved me a crumpled fender more than once.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
There have been debates here about whether the design of the shift location s is natural or not. In other words, are R and D where they should be, or are they reversed?

Some people feeling the current setup is backwards. Until they really get used to the Prius, they have an increased risk of shifting into the wrong gear and injuring someone or damaging their car. I would recommend you leave it on for a couple of months until you are certain that it has become natural to you.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I let my best friend's daughter take a short spin in the Prius with me in it. She tried to shift using the wiper stalk. Understandable mistake. At least my windshield got cleaner.

Then I nearly had her shift in the wrong direction. It's hard to show someone the differences of this car from the passenger seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
C'mon, people!

KTPhil said:
Some people feeling the current setup is backwards. Until they really get used to the Prius, they have an increased risk of shifting into the wrong gear and injuring someone or damaging their car.
Good advice, KTPhil. But for those people, here's something to think about.

If you're someone who's never driven an automatic before, you might want to keep that beeper on. If you've got situational awareness problems or otherwise pay no attention to what gear you've just shifted into, you might want to keep that beeper on.

Seriously, who here is having this problem? Is it because R is above D (like it is on every other current automatic transmission) or is the real issue the fact that the shift knob returns to center, thereby not giving the driver a visual indication of what gear you've just shifted into? 2006 Pkg3+ and all 2007 models have a backup camera. Is that not enough of a clue?

Personally, since when I shift into either R or D, the lever isn't where the lever was on my Prelude, I actually used to LOOK at it. Kinda hard to look at and ignore the R when I want to go forward, but the visual cues of the camera view and the flashing indicator on my dash display (since I apparently meant to go forward, right?) should clue me in. Once I no longer had to look at it, I'd pretty much trained myself that UP is R and DOWN is D. This isn't rocket science, though, because I've driven automatics before. The only problem people should be having there is, why is the Park button below the lever instead of above it?

I know, this sounds somewhat sarcastic, but I actually mean it to. If you're one of those people who can't tell what gear they're in, you've got more problems than how to tell Toyota they're wrong. Some of us remember that when you get into a car with a stick shift, it's the matter of a few seconds to go, "okay, where's reverse?" because not every car is the same. R is in a different place on every third car you get into. And remember, while some of you may think Toyota was stupid for putting it the way they did, there would be even more of you who protested if they'd reversed them, because that doesn't resemble ANYthing familiar. Besides, Toyota was also smart enough to design the system so if you DID happen to shift to R while driving forward, it won't let you. Try that in any other car.

:::climbing off my soap box:::

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I can understand that, but:

To shift from Park to R or D in an automatic, you shift down. In the Prius, you shift UP from park.

But since it isn't a linear UP/DOWN shift, we tend to look at it from a different perspective, more like the perspective of a video game joystick. In such a configuration, UP (or away from oneself) is FORWARD, and DOWN (or toward oneself) is REVERSE. I believe THIS is why we sometimes get it wrong.
It's just like a joystick of a flight simulator game too. Sometimes forward (away from oneself) is more intuitive to mean UP, but in reality it is DOWN. Pilots don't have this problem since they are accustomed to it, but a newbie may not be as lucky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You only shift UP from Park if you're going into Reverse. You shift DOWN if going into Drive. As I mentioned, if the Park button were above the lever instead of below it, you'd have no argument at all, would you? :?

As for the game controller comparison, I play a lot of games, and I don't know of ANY controller that lets you move the joystick UP and DOWN. Unless you hold your PS3 controller vertically, they're all generally played flat and move FORWARD and BACKWARD, kinda like, oh, I don't know, a gearshift.

As for the flight sim joystick, I'm thinking it usually takes only one diving crash before you remember that Forward means Down, but this is a car, not a game.

Of course, I'm always open to spirited discussion. What do YOU think? :wink:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Remember, Toyota may have done this to avoid liability as people become familiar with the car. Once they are familiar, they will either have grown to accept and/or like it, or they will be come annoyed and turn it off. Since Toyota clearly foresaw this and gives you a way to do it, I don't think it makes much sense to say one way is superior to the other.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Maybe they expected a bunch of old people to buy the car who needed a reminder when in reverse. :lol: :lol: The beep doesn't bother me at all. After teaching school for decades, listening to my daughters' music (???), and boom boxes these days, what's a little beeping? It's helped me out in more than one instance.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
uwaku said:
You only shift UP from Park if you're going into Reverse. You shift DOWN if going into Drive. As I mentioned, if the Park button were above the lever instead of below it, you'd have no argument at all, would you? :?
I was referring to a conventional automatic transmission shifter. Park is at the top, followed by Reverse below it, then Neutral, then Drive, then the lower gear(s). It is all Down from Park.
uwaku said:
As for the game controller comparison, I play a lot of games, and I don't know of ANY controller that lets you move the joystick UP and DOWN. Unless you hold your PS3 controller vertically, they're all generally played flat and move FORWARD and BACKWARD, kinda like, oh, I don't know, a gearshift.
Of course it is a matter of orientation. However, we often translate vertical for forward, or vice versa. When you see a traffic sign indicate something of importance with an arrow pointing up, do you look up in the sky for the item of importance, or anticipate approaching it as you drive forward?
uwaku said:
As for the flight sim joystick, I'm thinking it usually takes only one diving crash before you remember that Forward means Down, but this is a car, not a game.
To many of us, it feels like a game, and a few of us respond that way. [Just how high can I get the average MPG today?]
Any case, it is a matter of look and feel. The controls feel more like game controls and so it can be easy to get confused for the same reasons you might get confused in a game.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.