Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently completed a1500 mile drive through Norhern British Columbia in my 2005 Prius.
The following observations may be of interest.
The standard issue Goodyear Integrity tires performed well under a variety of conditions including wet pavement. On two occations braking was so enthusiastic that the ABS system was activated but the car remained under complete control throughout the maneuver.
I am 6 feet tall, and according to my doctor, am somewhat overweight. The longest leg of the journey was slightly under 500 miles and was completed in comfort. The fuel guage is a puzzle. A much more reliable method of calculation is made with the help of the odometer. EPA milage estimates are naturally wildly optimistic in the real world but my milage was somewhat over twice what I experienced in my 4 cylinder Camry. The car performed well in mountain driving and was a delight to drive in most other conditions. I had no occations to drive in strong cross winds but noted an almost complete lack of buffeting due to other highspeed traffic. In summation I would say the car is reliable, safe and fun to drive. I have driven cars for over 50 years and, at one time or another, my stable has included several Detroit Irons and a number of high performance foreign cars. I have not been so enthusiastic about an automobile since I was 18!!!

G

·
Glad to hear you're so enthusiastic. I feel the same way after nearly two years. I've owned cars twice as much as this car and still can't believe the honeymoon is still ongoing.

I am surprised you liked the tires. I scrapped mine after a few hundred miles. They are poor quality and suck in the rain and snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark Prius said:
Glad to hear you're so enthusiastic. I feel the same way after nearly two years. I've owned cars twice as much as this car and still can't believe the honeymoon is still ongoing.

I am surprised you liked the tires. I scrapped mine after a few hundred miles. They are poor quality and suck in the rain and snow.
I suppose I had no quarrel with the tires because they had only 1200km on them and the fresh tread probably helped in the two occasions where spirited braking was required. I have no idea how well they would behave in snow or ice or what their wear rate will be. These factors will determine if the tires stay on the car or not.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Islander, I'm glad to hear your good experience with the Prius. We probably live within miles of each other as I am also an Islander in BC.

One thing I am interested in is the gas mileage you get since we have similar conditions. One of the main factors is the climate - my worst mileage is in the winter when I get as poor as 5.6 litres / 100k which translates to 50 miles to an imperial gallon or 41 miles to an American gallon.

In the summer the best I have had over a tankful is 4.6 litres / 100k or 60 mpg (50 mpg US).

I find that the secondary roads in this area are ideal for Prius mileage. They are mildly hilly. The Prius seems to do best with a burst of gas acceleration to climb a hill, followed by battery only down the hill and along the flats. If I were to drive exclusively on some kinds of secondary roads, I believe the mileage would consistently be about 70 mpg.

As for the tires, after more than a year, and about 21,000 km, I have never had any complaints about the tires. The only small thing I have noticed is that the brakes seem to grab at slow speeds, especially after a rainfall. But I don't think it's been enough to activat the ABS, and certainly no slipping of the tires.

I'm attaching an Excel file that I use to see comparisons between different ways of understanding mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are getting ready (Sunday) to leave on a 4000 mi trip in out 05 Pirus. I have about 4000 miles on it now. We are going to Yellowstone then over to Seattle then down the coast, to visit the kids, from San Diego back here to New Mexico. I have been averging 55.5 MPG now. Live at 7000' in the mountains. I want to try it out in the snow too. Will let you know how it goes, will return in Nov.

Stan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canadian Prius said:
Islander, I'm glad to hear your good experience with the Prius. We probably live within miles of each other as I am also an Islander in BC.

One thing I am interested in is the gas mileage you get since we have similar conditions. One of the main factors is the climate - my worst mileage is in the winter when I get as poor as 5.6 litres / 100k which translates to 50 miles to an imperial gallon or 41 miles to an American gallon.

In the summer the best I have had over a tankful is 4.6 litres / 100k or 60 mpg (50 mpg US).

I find that the secondary roads in this area are ideal for Prius mileage. They are mildly hilly. The Prius seems to do best with a burst of gas acceleration to climb a hill, followed by battery only down the hill and along the flats. If I were to drive exclusively on some kinds of secondary roads, I believe the mileage would consistently be about 70 mpg.

As for the tires, after more than a year, and about 21,000 km, I have never had any complaints about the tires. The only small thing I have noticed is that the brakes seem to grab at slow speeds, especially after a rainfall. But I don't think it's been enough to activat the ABS, and certainly no slipping of the tires.

I'm attaching an Excel file that I use to see comparisons between different ways of understanding mileage.
A recent trip from Duncan to Port Hardy resulted in 71 miles per Imp gal. We B.C.ites would consider this a flat road. I drove a klick or two above the posted limits as the roads were dry. In the hilly area around home the milage drops to 50/55 mpg. Still a nice number compared even compared to my Camry.My Prius has less than 3000 kms so there may even be a slight improvment when it and its tires are properly run in. Tire pressures are kept at 42/40.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts