Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. My husband wants to rent a mountain cabin near Gatlinburg, TN between Christmas and New Years. So what does this have to do with a Prius? Well, I own one! And gosh darn, if we live in Orlando and are going to drive that far, it had better be in a car with great gas mileage!

The problem is that I have never driven in mountains in my life. I keep picturing winding roads that drop off into the abyss, coupled with a light car and no traction. I imagine my entire family in my prius going around a corner and losing it on icy roads and all falling to our death!

Okay, I'm about 75% crazy, but is there any truth to this? Should I be worried about taking this car into the mountains in winter? If anyone is familiar with that part of the country, I would also be curious to know the typical road conditions at that time of year.

I have no use for snow tires except for perhaps this 3 day vacation, so I'd probably not bother with those or chains or anything at that level....

Thanks!
Suzanne (Ignorant Florida Native)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am familar with that area and can tell you that the only place that you may have any problem is in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. the roads are very windy and there are some steap drop offs but they have really good railings and walls so I dont think you will have to worry about plunging to your death.:shock: I will say that if the roads are icy that you may want to schedule your trip thru there about mid day so the plows have a chance to clear the roads, but then again you can take the long way around and stick to the Blueridge Parkway. The Blueridge Parkway is no where near as windy or scarry but will take you about 2 hours out of your way. I hope you have a good trip and I know you will enjoy the breathtaking view of the Smokeys. :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Consider giving the Prius the right footwear for the environment, just as you would wear the right footwear. You wouldn't wear sneakers in snow would you? So give Prius a good set of tires that can handle snow and ice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts