Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there is a bladder inside the gasoline tank. If this is true, are there certain gasoline additives that should never be added to the gasoline tank because they could damage the bladder? I like to use certain products such as combustion chamber deposit removers and fuel injector cleaners and even things like Marvel Mystery oil. Are my tinkering days over? Also, would gasahol lower the life expectancy of the bladder or other fuel system components?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You don't need these products with the additives in today's gasoline. Chemicals are added to gasoline that removes deposits, etc. from fuel systems. They are simply a waste of your money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Prz. I would not try the additives until the ICE shows signs of needing something to pep it up, probably somewhere around the 200,000 mi. mark. At that point there may be enough oil getting by the piston rings to start causing deposits in the combustion chamber or maybe start fouling the spark plugs. I don't want to put ketones, aromatic compounds, or amines (all common fuel additives) into the gasoline tank if they will react with the bladder material to cause possible bladder leaking. I guess I'm getting a little early of a start on this worry since I won't be using any additives for a long time, but the answer may help me down the road.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts