Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week it was announced that Taxi Fares were going to be increased by fifty cents in the Boston area as a surcharge was approved account of the "increase" in rising gas prices. Evidentually the Boston city council or "who-ever" failed to check with "triple A" for the latest fuel price figures. They indicate that the rise from $2.00/ gallon started on 3/20. On 7/10 they were $2.35, on 8/29 they hit the year high at $3.30 and have been on a steady decrease since then till Dec 1 when they again reached $2.00. That is the date the surcharge was added. How slow the wheels in government work,.........(On Jan 11th the price was $1.85)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
On the radio this morning I heard that gas demand is up, crude oil is up, and gas prices have hit their low and will soon be rising again. I'll bet that "surcharge" sticks...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What takes nine months to apply will take several years to repeal even if gas prices drop to a buck and a half. Not too sure about prices rising any time soon as long as Congress has started the investigations of the major oil companies practises. Meanwhile more after effects of "Katrina" and another hit to New Orleans, along with the gas hikes, The "Sugar Bowl" will now be played in the Atlanta dome.

·
Registered
582 Posts
boston gas

If one takes an annual view on this, 2003 - 2005 averages have been about $1.60, $1.80 and $2.20 in Boston. These are quick approximations from gasbuddy, not guaranteed to the penny.

It would surprise me if the annual average for 2006 doesn't exceed $2.20.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
hyperion said:
firepa63 said:
Oil is over $60 a barrel this morning...

.....And the price of gas up the street just dropped to $1.97 this morning. First time below $2..00 since last February. "Go figure!"
It takes a while for the price to get from the well head to your gas tank. But it's coming. The oil companies have us programmed for higher prices now. Better take a picture of the $1.97 sign to keep in your "fond memories" scrapbook. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I think part of what we are seeing is a reaction to the 'record profits' outrage.

Oil companies don't want regulated prices, and are 'easing the concerns' short term... maybe in the hope they can creep em back up later when nobody's looking.

But I see gunmen on every grassy knoll

·
Registered
48 Posts
melgish said:
I think part of what we are seeing is a reaction to the 'record profits' outrage.

Oil companies don't want regulated prices, and are 'easing the concerns' short term... maybe in the hope they can creep em back up later when nobody's looking.

But I see gunmen on every grassy knoll
The 'creep' has started here already. Last week I filled up at $1.83, and this morning the same station is $1.98!! :shock: I guess I better top off the tank this evening!!

Other stations in the area are also creeping up, but this is the one closest to home, and one of the cheapest in the area - a Wawa. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Another mystery - to me, at least - is the wide spread between gasoline and diesel prices:

http://198.6.95.31/

A year ago, diesel was 3.4 cents more than premium; today it's 22 cents more. In Colorado, the spread has been a lot more than that, hitting 60 or 70 cents a few weeks ago. Is is possible that oil companies are keeping gas prices comparatively low to mollify us consumers, while passing the additional costs on to truckers (who, of course, will pass them along to us)? Is demand for diesel up significantly in the past year? Or is the decline in diesel just lagging behind the decline in gasoline? (According to AAA, diesel hit its peak on Oct. 24, seven weeks after gasoline's peak on Sept. 9.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try California

See we here in California do get screwed on some stuff. We are very pleased to see our lower gas prices of $2.23. Whoopie for us!! And where are the refineries?? Like 1 1/2 hours up the road. Our gas stations creep up 3-4c a day if they hear that the barrel price is rising even if they have not recieved a new shipment!
I am happy that I can flip off the gas companies just a bit with my Prius, maybe that is why the antena sticks up like that in the middle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts