Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled up the tank three days ago and after 190 miles it still reads full bars across.

Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
My first bar goes out after as few as 40 miles when I just add gas until 'full', and my record (pre-TSB) is 204 miles when I cram it full...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whew, the pip went out at 201 miles, by far the most I have seen in about 7 fill-ups. My last fill-up was extreme due to warm weather and a really slow pump (nozzle was bent at the end).

Thanks everyone!

Steve

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Bet the next pip lasted less than 40 miles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pip

My first pip turns off between 82 and 84 miles EVERY time (a dozen or so times that I've checked anyway). Never more never less. It's like clock work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
jeff_h said:
Rocketeir said:
I filled up the tank three days ago and after 190 miles it still reads full bars across.
Was probably a very full fillup (due to the fuel bladder inside the tank, sometimes the tank gets filled more than others, you probably had a very good fillup). Just keep an eye on it, most likely nothing wrong as I've had as much as 160 miles reading full... but also have had one pip disappear at 60 miles, so it goes both ways. So there's probably nothing wrong, but if a pip doesn't go away by 250 I suggest it's time to visit the dealer.

Jeff
I've had as high as 230miles before the first box disappeared...

Most of the time its between 180 and 200..

The warmer the weather, the more gas you can cram in (which I do not advise unless you like smelling like gas. I fill the tank to the first "burp" then pull the nozzle out and fill it very slow til it takes no more.)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Nonlinear is how the fuel gauge is best described. If you end up "necking" fuel into your tank you will generally have a long distance until the first pip goes out. After that pips will fall at seemingly normal intervals, althought not linear in nature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a strange gas guage situation yesterday. I parked our 05 at a friends house on a steep incline, with the front of the car being much higher than the rear. When driving over there, I noticed I had only one bar showing. When I got in the car to leave, I had 3 bars showing! I know that these cars are fuel efficient, but I didn't realize that they could make gas. Must have been something it ate. After driving home, it's still showing 3 bars. Any ideas?

Tom

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a follow up to my previous post: The next morning I got in the car, started up, and the gas guage still showed 3 bars. I went to the gas station, and very slowly (as always) managed to squeeze in 7.8 gallons. This is what I normally get in when the guage shows 1 bar.

Tom

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If after 7.8 gallons it is still stuck, I would see your dealer.
By the way, does the MFD reset shortly after fillups, or do you have to now do it manually since the guage has gotten stuck?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.