Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
How many miles did it stay on 7 squares and what's the MPG readout on the display, and by staying on 7 squares do you mean 7 squares are lit?

It is not uncommon for a square to remain for up to 75 miles, especially if on full, where it could be as high as 230.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
how many miles has it been stuck at 7 bars? The gage is not very linear, and it is not uncommon that it may stay at a bar level for a while, and then suddenly drop 2 bars relatively quickly, depending on your driving style and terrain.

did you recently refuel with less than 3 gallons of fuel? The gage will not change with such a small refill amount.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gas gauge

First thanks for replying so fast.
I have filled it up 3 times since it got stuck.
I am not a novice to the quirks of the car, I have had it almost 20 months (and I would buy another in a heartbeat) .
I will try the 300 mile fillup
Thanks for your help.
By the way I adverage 45 mph winter , 50 mph summer, 25,000 milesThanks again

·
Registered
457 Posts
"My gas gauge has stopped functioning."
Have you had the factory "fix" done on your gas guage..? Some 04's had a service bulletin on the guage.. The problem was not for sticking in one spot but (If Needed) you might get the dealer involved in your problem that way..

·
Registered
209 Posts
gas gauge "fix"

Alanlpa, don't jump to do the gas gauge fix on the 04. First, I don't think it was meant to address your issue. Second, it does absolutely nothing to address the original issue, which was the non-linearity and inaccuracy of the gauge. The problem really is the sac inside the tank which changes capacity in reaction to varying temps. Third, if you have a VIN that qualifies you for both phases of the "fix" (i.e., the filler pipe and the new gauge), they need to dismantle your dash. My dash has continually been slightly "bouncy" on rough roads since they did that, even though I've had it back 3 times for repair. My suspician is that there are several dash parts that are just unsupported, including the pod - or the mirror- that hang from under a long, unsupported part of the dash.

In winter, I can't squeeze in more than 6 gallons of gas even when I'm down to one pip. I lose the 1st one quickly, and it goes capriciously from there. For some reason, the 3rd to last pip hangs around for over 100 miles usually. I just fill up at 1 pip. In the winter, that's about 300 miles.

Good luck!

Susan
Silver 04 BC
almost 36K miles

·
Registered
457 Posts
Alan wrote:
"My gas gauge has stopped functioning. It stays on about 7 squares." "
He didn't say it took a long time for the guage to move.. He said it DIDN'T WORK at ALL..
That being the case, one would expect dealer involvement... one way or another.

·
Registered
457 Posts
hyperion wrote: "First thing dealer will do is kick the left front tire! It'll eventually fix itself."
Probably...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kicked around enought

Well I guess that was kicked around enought. I think from all the chatter about this issue , I should just sit tight and wait until it fixes itself or until 35,000 miles
Thanks People
Alan :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Here: Gas Gauge "Stuck"

My gauge has been stuck 3 times; once about 6 fill-ups ago and now the last two fill-ups. Two weeks ago it got stuck in the same place as other's, namely at approx 7 pips. It cleared up after 60 miles. However, this past Sunday when I filled-up and took 5.1 gallons of fuel the gauge was at 7 pips and now 3 days later and 175 miles, it still reads 7 pips.

Do you think it is "Dealer Time" or should I wait it out? :?:

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: There's a thread on PriusChat which might be a solution (might not..). From the postings, it seems unwise to do this "just for fun," but take a look.

The PRIUS most definitely has a unique "character," the guess gauge being one facet of many.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15675

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.