Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the procedure in the manual over a dozen times, and I can't get the garage door opener programed. I even replaced the battery in the remote, and nothing!

I've trained other cars following similar procedure with the original remote, and never had a problem. What am I missing?

Thanks for your input!

Andre

·
Registered
46 Posts
garage door opener

If you have a Quantum (made by Wayne Dalton) brand opener, you will not be able to program it. If you go to homelinks site, they can direct you to a device that can be installed on your opener that will supposedly enable it. I think it cost about $60. I was going to order one, but I've just gotten used to the old fashioned way.

Tom

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Do a search on this forum for Homelink. You should find several threads describing the way to program the garage door opener. If you have an opener with a "roaming" code there is a specific sequence you must use.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got a new garage door opener system (Genie) after I had my Prius mirror programmed for the old one. The programming wouldn't "take" on the new one so I started reading the manual that came with the door opener. Voila..! The book described a small button ON the Door Opener Control Box (Receiver). You push that button and then have 30 SECONDS to get in the car and do your thing with the hand held opener & mirror. It worked just fine.. and 30 seconds was more than enough. Check your door opener owner's manual. Don'cha just love a success story..? :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
First, try following the proceedure to erase the homelink completely. Sometimes it gets hung in an invalid state.

Syncing the homelink to the remote's frequency takes longer than the manual says. Wait until the LED changes its blinking state.

If you don't have a rolling code system, then you are done.
If you DO have rolling code, now you have to program the base to accept the homelink.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
firepa63 said:
Do a search on this forum for Homelink. You should find several threads describing the way to program the garage door opener. If you have an opener with a "roaming" code there is a specific sequence you must use.
I ran a search and found nothing. Can you provide a link to good thread?

The system I have is probably 10 years old and does not have a training button.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Will the manager of this site please do a reindex? The search features have missed threads that I KNOW have the keyword.

Anyway, if it is old and doesn't have rolling code, first follow the procedure to do a full erase of the mirror's homelink.

Then follow the first procedure to program a button.

Page 194:
(c) Erasing the entire HomeLink emory (all three programs)
To erase all previously programmed codes at one time, press and hold down the 2 outside buttons for 20 seconds until the indicator light flashes. It may take more than 20 seconds, so look for the flash.
If you sell your vehicle, be sure to erase
the programs stored in the HomeLink's memory.

To program:
1. Decide which of 3 HomeLink buttons you want to program.
2. Place your hand–held garage transmitter 25 to 75 mm (1 to 3 in.) away from the surface of the HomeLink.
Keep the red indicator light on the HomeLink in view while programming.
3. Simultaneously press and hold the hand–held garage transmitter button
along with the selected HomeLink button.
4. When the indicator light on the HomeLink changes from a slow to a
rapid flash after 20 seconds, you can release both buttons.
It may take more than 20 seconds, wait for the flash change.
5. Test the operation of the HomeLink by pressing the newly programmed button.
If programming a garage door opener, check to see if the garage door opens and closes.

If the garage door does not operate, identify if your garage transmitter is of the “Rolling Code” type.
Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. The garage door has the rolling code feature if the indicator light (on the HomeLink)
flashes rapidly and then remains lit after 2 seconds.
It will be steady if it is not rolling code.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I failed programming the homelink for a very old opener (the original Genie, I think, from the early 1980s)--no rolling code, no program button on the motor assembly. It should be the "easy" type.

I know the Prius homelink works because I programmed it for my new Sears unit (rolling code) at home.

Oddly, another car had been successfully programmed for the Genie unit years ago.

The procedure seems to work, and I get the short blinks followed by a fast blink. But nothing when I hit the switch. The original remote works fine.

Weird! I wonder if the opener is too old for the Prius to recognize?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Programming Garage Door Opener

For what it's worth, when I got my 04 Prius. I programmed a 28 y/o Genie with no problem. The old unit died a few months later and I had a new Genie installed. That's when I discovered the Learning Button on the Reciever. The new one now also works just fine. The Prius transmitter seems to have better range than the hand held units. I programmed all 3 mirror buttons for the garage door so I don't have to look for any one in particular.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I programmed mine from a Genie remote that is probably 15 years old... it came with the townhouse, held together with duct tape. I recall having to make several attempts before the programming "took". Also, I can't just punch the button and have the door react, I have to hold it for about a second, there seems to be a bit more delay somehow than with the hand held remote. But it all works!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have programmed many Homelink buttons but had something strange happen on the Prius. For some reason, the number 1 button looked like it was programmed correctly but failed to open the door. I programmed the number 2 button and it worked fine. I went back and reprogrammed the number 1 button and it still didn't work. Since I only need one button, the number 2 button is fine for me.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Did you erase the homelink first?

If you press the button to operate and it fast blinks, it thinks it is rolling code. A steady red light is non-rolling code. And it does take a second or two for the receiver to pick up the homelink signal. (yes, I know, it is really the homelink delay).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
There is the second delay, but the range is greater than my remote. I can get the garage door going from a block away and it is open for me when I pull in. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts