37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Georgia tint law...

Reflectivity 20% All

Front sides = 32%
Rear sides = 32%
Rear = 32%
Windshield = top six inches

I will avoid Georgia on my trip next year.

Read entire Article

Article Clip said:
Georgia's window tinting law was struck down as unconstitutional last year because the provisions applied only to vehicles registered in Georgia. "House Bill 20 corrected the language so the law applies to all vehicles, whether registered in Georgia or another state," Colonel Hitchens said. "The window tint law is a safety issue, not only for law enforcement officers as they approach a vehicle during a traffic stop, but also for drivers so they can better see approaching vehicles while they drive."

Violation of the law by either driving a vehicle with illegal window tint or installing the illegal material is a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months imprisonment.
Now read this recent news article

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
They justify it by comparing it to a gun law. You can easily correct a gun situation that complies with your state but doesn't comply with Georgia. Same with seatbelts. But you can't easily remove your tint.

The judge(s) that struck the residency requirement for applying the law were being very dumb.

·
Registered
257 Posts
DanMan32 said:
They justify it by comparing it to a gun law. You can easily correct a gun situation that complies with your state but doesn't comply with Georgia. Same with seatbelts. But you can't easily remove your tint.

The judge(s) that struck the residency requirement for applying the law were being very dumb.
Actually, applying the law to non-Georgia vehicles violates Section 1 of Article IV of the U.S. Constitution. That basically states that if something is legal in one state, but illegal in another state, the latter state can't prosecute citizens of the first state. For example, if your state requires only one license plate and you drive through a state that requires two plates, you can't be ticketed for not complying with the two plate requirement.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Romad, I think that only applies if their law specifically says it is legal. If they just don't make it illegal, then it is different. But I am going out on a limb there.

I don't think the two plate one plate thing is applicable, because that is all that is required to register the car in the other state. If you went to register in the two state one, you would add a plate. But the law going between the states is that your car must be registered, in your example the rule is followed. The two plate state would legally be required to allow your vehicle that is legally registered in your state.

However, if my state outlaws concealed weapons, and you live in a state that allows it, and you have a concealed weapons permit from that state, I beleive you can be arrested in my state for carrying a concealed weapon. no?

I am just guessing here and trying to play out scenarios on both sides.

Look at same-sex marriage, some states are getting poised to allow it, congress has already established that the backwards ass states won't have to abide by a marriage considered legal in another state that isn't legal in theirs. Even though there are still states that allow you to marry your first cousin and those people are legal everywhere they travel afterward.

Spike

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
This will probaly be challenged at the Supreme Court level, since it involves interstate commerce. If a car meets federal standards, I doubt the states can be more restrictive. The only exception I know of is the California emissions, and even that went to the Supes before it became effective in the late 1960s.

Hell, if you can deny medical marijuana to dying patients because of "interstate commerce," this should be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Going with the Californial example, does that mean a person who purchased a car in a less restrictive state can't drive into California to visit or pass through?

And really, with the 1 plate-2 plate example, yes registration would require 2 plates. A cop will still stop you though if you are missing your plate. The residency requirement of enforcement of tinting was struck down as unfair because it discriminated against residents. So applying the same thought would not allow you to have 1 plate if it is a 2 plate state even if you resided in a different state.

Really, we need to apply common sense. You can't just rip off your tinting as you travel from state to state, so residency should apply here. However, you can leave your gun home, or secure it so that it is legal. The radar detector can be put in the trunk. Can't put the tinting in the trunk or leave it at home.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If Georgia was to outlaw HID headlights, would the people who think the tint-law thing is OK (and have HIDs) still go along? Permanent modifications to vehicles should not be considered equal to things temporarily in cars like radar detectors and the occasional gun.

I hope this gets fixed on a national level soon. I believe my tint is legal in Georgia where I go often, but in August I NEED to go through Pennsylvania, and I'll be all surly and outraged if I'm ticketed. Hopefully not enough to get another ticket just for that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stock Tinting Level

For comparison, does anyone know what the % tinting level on each window is for the stock Prius? DanMan?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: Stock Tinting Level

klatu said:
For comparison, does anyone know what the % tinting level on each window is for the stock Prius? DanMan?
Can't be much. SC is 27% max, and I was told that FormulaOne Pinnacle 30 was the darkest that, along with the window's original tint, would pass...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts