Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am a very new Prius 04 owner who is slowly getting to know her new baby.

I notice that when I turn the wheel fairly sharply, as when you pull into a parking space, I hear a noise like a chain being pulled. As soon as you stop turning the wheel it stops. Anyone had anything like it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's a new one on me. I'd suggest you take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't know about "a chain being pulled", but if I turn the wheel too fast when going too slow, I hear the tires scraping the ground. (Because I'm not going fast enough for the wheels to turn correctly.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've heard a sound that's "different" from a non-Prius; that's about as best as I can describe it when I'm not in the car - "chain being pulled" isn't what I'm hearing though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an appointment on tuesday to have an autodimming mirror installed I got through ebay, I will certainly ask them to look into it and let you know what they tell me.

Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Toyota Dealer in Riverhead NY looked at my "Blue Boy" yesterday and said the car was not supposed to make that noise but there is nothing dangerous to worry about.

Apparently it would take a long time to really get inside and see what's making that noise, and since I only had a 2 hour appointment to have a new mirror installed they couldn't do it yesterday.

They told me to make another appointment and they would give me a loaner car while they worked on my car. As long as I know there is nothing dangerous I really don't want them taking my baby apart.

·
Registered
363 Posts
iris said:
Hi

I notice that when I turn the wheel fairly sharply, as when you pull into a parking space, I hear a noise like a chain being pulled. As soon as you stop turning the wheel it stops. Anyone had anything like it?
You know, I think I may have that noise too. Chain being pulled is a good description, but more like a heavy motorcycle chain dragged across a concrete floor.

Not when turning the wheel though. Just at very low speed through the parking garage. I will listen more closely today.

Only 50 miles on our new ride.

·
Registered
425 Posts
SkipHuffman said:
iris said:
Hi

You know, I think I may have that noise too. Chain being pulled is a good description, but more like a heavy motorcycle chain dragged across a concrete floor.

Not when turning the wheel though. Just at very low speed through the parking garage. I will listen more closely today.

Only 50 miles on our new ride.
I wonder if its the chain that drives the wheels (after the power splitter)? Maybe its loose? AFAIK, this can not be adjussted and its a complete replacment of the transmission unit. Get it looked at whilst in warentee.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Definitely get it fixed! Otherwise it will seriously affect your trade-in value, and if it eventually leads to something worse, they might possibly deny warranty service on the subsequent problem on the grounds that you did not have this first problem taken care of.

Better they "take your baby apart" than have your baby fall apart later. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Victor said:
I wonder if its the chain that drives the wheels (after the power splitter)? Maybe its loose? AFAIK, this can not be adjussted and its a complete replacment of the transmission unit. Get it looked at whilst in warentee.
Well, seeing as I have 99950 miles left on the Warranty I don't think I will have a problem getting in before it expires. I may wait until first oil change though, or maybe when I go in to get the latest software installed (new stuff in about a week my dealer says. I don't plan to do this every time, but I would like to start out with a good baseline.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Chain Drive

Hmmm,
This is the first that I have seen indicating a chain drive.
Since chains always stretch is the lack of an adjustment a major or minor oversight?
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny sound

I can confirm I too have the same problem. I've had my prius for 18 months now (UK). The sound has on occasion disappeared, but always returns. It only happens when I turn sharply.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Re: Funny sound

volition said:
I can confirm I too have the same problem. I've had my prius for 18 months now (UK). The sound has on occasion disappeared, but always returns. It only happens when I turn sharply.
Wow, you are really digging up some old posts! Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It's the electric power steering. It sounds like something is being wound up.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I think it's Jacob Marley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Noise when turning

Similar problem on my new Prius when I take a sharp right turn. Very alarming.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hep said:
I think it's Jacob Marley.
Woe to you, Hepenezer! Woe!!! Tonight you will be visited by three spirits. The spirit of Jalopy past, the spirit of Prius present, and the spirit of fuel cell vehicle future! Woe to you!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts