·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was filling up at the gas station this past Saturday and
a young man (mid 20's - young to me) was filling up his
behemoth black H2.

I put in my 6 gallons (I was only at half a tank), and he
asked "Hybrid, eh? What kind of mileage are you getting"?

I replied, "Around 48-50".

His pump was reading nearly $50 and wasn't finished
filling yet.

He paled slightly and said, "I wish I'd been smarter".

I tried to look sympathetic. I really did, really!

-cid.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hehe... So he gets better DPT as you get MPG. (Dollars per Tank)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
artistic license....

Ok, maybe it was just my imagination making him look paler....

But he definitely didn't look happy!

:wink:

-cid.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
There really aren't that many Hummer owners in the US and those that are, probably in no way are concerned about their gas bills today or in the future. Ditto those who can afford a Toyota Highlander hybrid and the Lexas H.
If you can afford one of these, you aren't concerned about the price of gas. It just might be a little more time consuming at the pumps but nary a word is mentioned on the hummer net about any one running out of gas.
And no way do they critisize the cars their neighbors are driving whether they be pick-up trucks, SUV's, sport cars, or Toyota Prius.
Doing something like this makes you sound sort of stupid.
We own something unique and far ahead of the industry at this time and I'm sorry to see that Toyota is not carrying through with the Prius concept in other models. (The Camry? We haven't even seen anything really firm as yet for even the 06 Prius!) The Highlander isn't even close being little more than the standard Highlander in fuel economy. I would rather have seen a little larger four cylinder engine used with the stress on fuel economy rather than performance and with a more realistic price tag for the masses.
Something more practical to move up too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hyperion said:
Doing something like this...
Uh, all he did was answer the Hummer owner's question truthfully, and (apparently) without bias.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hyperion said, "And no way do they critisize the cars their neighbors are driving whether they be pick-up trucks, SUV's, sport cars, or Toyota Prius. "

Hyperion- did you ever actually check into the claim that hummer owners don't care what other people drive?

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=sear ... 5106011751

I searched for Prius on the hummer website and got 113 matches. some are fairly harmless and some are downright scathing. If you hang out there for long, you discover that many that do are not examples of good citizens. I'll take those in the Prius community hands down over hummer owners for manners and intelligence.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Well Ray, I don't seem to have the skills of the hunt that you do. I just googled hummeronline (a little like "priusonline) and found not one negative remark. You did come up with a lot of humor and several a%% Ho*&$s but really I feel not that many.
Just goes to show, there are jerks on all websites. To put it simply, if you can pay over sixty grand for a car you should never have to ask how much do you have to pay for gas to run it. No one buys one of these things without realizing that they get twelve MPG. And there are no bargains listed for sale on "E" bay

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Nice results, Ray. I like one of the posts that (kind of) has the Prius in a good light. It's a humorous list of 'car forum examples' (I rearranged to put the Prius and Hummer at the end next to each other. And to think, this was on a Hummer forum!):

Code:
Bentley Forums 
- - - I used the ash tray today. How do I replace it? 

Camaro/Firebird Forums 
- - - My girl slept with my brother and my wife. How can I kill 'em? 
btw, I have a record and I ain't going back. 

Mustang (Chevelle) forums 
- - -Some punk kid in a Civic tried to race me. 

Monte Carlo forums 
- - -Why do I keep getting pulled over, it ain't stolen yo. 

Civic forums 
- - -Some punk kid in a Mustang tried to race me. 

VW Bug forum 
- - - The Save the Earth concert was a success (pics) 

Yugo Forum 
- - - When's the last time yours ran? 

Lamborghini forum 
- - - Wind noise around 210MPH 

Miata forums 
- - - Some ******* jackass in a Chevy Tahoe just ran over my car (pics) 

Chevy Tahoe forum 
- - -Miata stuck in my undercarriage. How do I safely remove it? (pics) 

Pontiac Fiero forum 
- - - Just bought a new flame retardant suit (pics) 

BMW 7-series forum 
- - - Where to get service on my Rolex? 

Cadillac forum 
- - - Problems parallel parking at bingo. 

Chevy Suburban Forum 
- - - Is the price of gas going down anytime soon? 

Buick Forum 
- - - Is Medicare or Medicaid right for me? 

Delorean forum 
- - - Just got back from the future and blew a head gasket. Please 
help. 
I'm from 1985. 

Crown Victoria forum 
- - - How come people never pass me on the highway? 

Honda Accord forum 
- - - Mom is giving me the car. Looking for some cheap, used 18 inch 
rims. 

Toyota Echo forum 
- - - Do our cars use AAA or AA's? 

Ferrari forums 
- - - Need suggestions about a business trip to Colombia. Want to get 
in 
and out fast. 

Porsche forums 
- - - Tire just went flat. Is it best to trade or sell the car myself? 

Saturn forums 
- - - Roman candle landed on my fender. Melted and need to replace. 

Jaguar forum 
- - - Is the carbon fiber dash kit group-buy still on? 

Mercedes forum 
- - - My wife and her stink hole lawyer are trying to ruin me in 
divorce 
court. How do I get them both killed and not get in trouble with my 
medical board? 

Mini forum 
- - - Just flipped the Cooper after seeing The Italian Job. Suing the 
movie company. (pics) 

Dodge Viper forum 
- - - I frightened myself on the way home from work yesterday. How to 
get pee stains out of the leather? 

McLaren F1 forum 
- - -Some punk kid in a F16 tried to race me. 

Dodge Minivan forum 
- - - Where's the best place to post the soccer schedule so I don't 
forget where I'm supposed to be? 

Fiat forum 
- - -Hello? Am I the only member? 

Subaru WRX forum 
- - - I hate cops. Got ticketed for drifting in the Walmart parking 
lot. 

Chevy pickup forum 
- - - How do I git the dried tobacco juice stains off the side of mah 
truck? 

SRT Forums 
"Will this void my warranty" 

RX7 Forums 
- - - 13B Groupbuy full, stop PM'ing me. 

DSM Forums 
- - -Transmission Groupbuy Full stop PM'ing me 

Supra Forums 
- - -Head to big to fit in car, should have bought a Targa. 

Vette Forums 
- - -Why did I pay $50k for something with a Cavalier steering wheel? 

Ford 2.3 forums 
- - -Help! Replaced everything, still doesn't start!

Hummer forum 
- - - Had a fender bender today. 24 hurt, 10 killed. Do I have to get 
the black touch-up paint from the dealer? He's 25 miles away. That's 
$35 in gas. 

Prius forums
- - -What is a gas station?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I checked into that Hummer forum and found the Photoshopped photos...hilarious! Also the comments from auto forums...very funny!

Seems to be plenty of Prius hostility to go around.

Jan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I was listening to a financial support program on the radio, and the guy who called in had a very large car payment. He of course was advised to downsize. At the end of the call, the advisors did ask him in good spirits why he bought a hummer. He felt it was a safer car for his family, since it was so big.

So, no, not all hummer owners can afford their gas, nor did they buy it to show off. Some just simply made a bad decision, possibly on impulse and sales hype.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not all Hummer drivers can afford them. Since I do mortgages, I look at people's finances every day and people often have more car than they can really afford. There is also more and more people leasing for the low payments. There is also more and more 5, 6 & even 7 year car loans. And a lot of people who have negative equity on their car, but still trade it in on a new one, adding that negative amount to the new car loan. People also really live on the financial edge of oblivion. Make $100k, but spend $125K or make 500k and spend $1 million. Yes I have declined loans to millionaires based on their expenses being too high or bad credit reports. I just declined a guy last week with a Viper, reason? his debt was seriously close to swamping his income.
Supposedly at the last spike in gas prices there was a measurable decline in sales of the H2 and large size SUV's in general (no pun intended). People really push themselves to the limit on their cars sometimes. Not always, but very often.

Spike

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did some reading on the H2 site, and I've come to the conclusion that they are just different in the way they think, just like we are different than the way they think. We may disagree with them and they may disagree with us. Nothing we say can change their minds and nothing they say can change ours.

My view is that they are self obsorbed and car about themselves. That may be true ... or not. Their view could be that we are tree huggers. That may be true ... or not.

The bickering back and forth seems pointless. I will not be going back to the H2 forum as I don't own one. I would hope the H2 owners stay out of ours. For those that own both, have fun dealing with the conflicting points of view!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think EVERYBODY's mind is going to be changed very soon, what with Hurricane Katrina's horrible aftermath.

Gas is approaching $3.00 here in Orlando. I bought 2 gallons, and plan to suspend any unnecessary driving for the next few days, at least until we see what's happening with the oil platforms and refineries in the gulf.

In Atlanta, it's approaching $5.00, and is already (reportedly) $6.70 per gallon at one gas station. You can make the argument that it's gouging, but if the prices of market supply and demand don't allow it to go up when supply is tight, then we'll use it all up on frivolous things, and nobody will have any.

The supply is too tight right now, and we need it for rescue and rebuilding efforts in New Orleans, Mississippi, and Alabama.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If the gas station can prove that his wholesale purchase price is in line with his retail price then he is in the clear, otherwise he is gouging and will be severely penalized

·
Registered
581 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If the gas station can prove that his wholesale purchase price is in line with his retail price then he is in the clear, otherwise he is gouging and will be severely penalized

Who and how will he be penalized?

I was not forced to buy HIS gas. I was not forced to buy gas at all.

AFAIK, we are under no price control plans in the USA.

Now, the MARKET may penalize this owner/operator later by boycott :twisted:

And they should...but the 'guvmint' ought not to...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There are LAWS against price gouging, and they are enforced especially during crisis.

You MIGHT be forced to pay his prices, if he and his buddies are the only ones left with gas.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Spike said:
Not all Hummer drivers can afford them. Since I do mortgages, I look at people's finances every day and people often have more car than they can really afford. There is also more and more people leasing for the low payments.
That's consistent with my observations. In CA, I live in a pretty affluent county, where $500k condos and $1M houses are the norm. The Hummer drivers around here probably barely notice the price of gas.

I spend a lot of time in NV too, since I've got a house in Las Vegas. Out there, someone with a low-paying service industry job can afford an apartment and Hummer lease payment, but probably struggles now to afford the gas.

A few years ago the CEO of the company I work for (in CA) made $26M in salary and bonuses, and finally treated himself to a new Lexus SC430 convertible. In Las Vegas, I know people who make less than $50k who lease more expensive cars than that (and barely make the payments each month). Within a given income range, there seems to be an inverse relationship between education, and percentage of income spent on cars (and for a large city, Las Vegas is home to one of the poorest educated adult workforces in the country). Professional athletes and hip-hop artists seem to spend a lot greater percentage of their income on cars than Fortune 500 execs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts