Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I need help. My two month old Prius has 2,300 miles. About 10 days ago my car started to give off a terrible smell that reminds me of a glue gun. This smell is intermittent. It can happen as soon as 2 miles into the drive. On other occasions if I don't smell it while I am driving I notice it when I get out of the car. It might happen with the air conditioner on or off. There are no lights on the dashboard indicating a problem. Any thoughts on this smelly problem?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Look under your Prius and see if a plastic shopping/garbage bag got hung up on the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D :D You were right! I did find a plastic bag attached under the car. Most of it was burned but I removed what was left. Do you think any damage was done? Thank you so much for the advice.

·
Registered
928 Posts
ct said:
:D :D You were right! I did find a plastic bag attached under the car. Most of it was burned but I removed what was left. Do you think any damage was done? Thank you so much for the advice.
Cool, I guessed right. Anyway, it's unlikely that anything on the car was damaged (though the plastic bag is worse for the wear). The 2004+ model discontinued the HC adsorber, so there's no longer a mechanical valve on the exhaust system that could get gummed up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We had a plastic hitchiker one June and I think by the following April the residual odor was down to just noticeable. Just thought I'd give you the "benefit" of our experience. I hope your experience is less odiferous.

Related experience to share; I narrowly escaped death since that experience when I looked far too long in my rear-view mirror to confirm that another bag had not taken up residence below me.

My new motto: It is far better to put up with a little smell than to die avoiding it. (Can't wait to read variations on this from others.)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Better to stink than into the drink.

:wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my Prius 2007 and for a whole week I have the burning plastic smell inside my car. I am very thankful for this post, I found the remainder of a plastic bag attached to the catalyst. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts