Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt see it by my wife swear she had a full stack of bars on the battery display.....i could have swore that the prius kept this from happening...am i wrong and has anyone had this problem (if it is a problem) before?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Full green bars, though rare during typical driving, are not a problem. As I descend a ~600 vertical hill on my commute home, I see this on a near daily basis.

From my understanding, full green bars does not mean the battery is at 100% capacity.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think I have gotten all green once in the 6 months I owned the car. Could have happened a few more times, I usually don't keep the MFD on that screen.

When you are up to 8 bars, you have not filled up the full capacity of the physical battery, but you have reached the limit the ECu will allow. At least when you've reached the top of the tolerance of that last bar.

G

·
0 Posts
Had Elusive 8 Green Bars just twice

I saw the Elusive 8 Green Bars just two times, on the same off ramp after driving 30 flat miles on the Interstate to work, within just several months.

It seems to have been a rare sighting, as I have not seen 8 Green Bars again after driving the same route for months.

It might have to do with the temperatures, season or increased overall miles (7K now) on the car.

It is hard to control the exact conditions during 30 minutes of highway driving. We have a new 2005 Prius with 500 miles on it, and no doubt will drive it on the same route before long. Have not seen 8 Green Bars on the new car yet.

Happy Owners 2005 Driftwood Prius (500 miles)
Happy Owners 2005 Silver Prius (7K miles)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I saw a full green bar last Thursday.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sanny said:
melgish said:
I saw a full green bar last Thursday.
I had the green cupcakes, myself. :)
You ate all the cupcakes yourself? Sanny, when are you going to learn to share? :wink:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melgish said:
You ate all the cupcakes yourself? Sanny, when are you going to learn to share? :wink:

:( I din't think anyone wanted any, what with all the pasta and lentils. Soooo sorry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I think I have gotten all green once in the 6 months I owned the car. Could have happened a few more times, I usually don't keep the MFD on that screen.

When you are up to 8 bars, you have not filled up the full capacity of the physical battery, but you have reached the limit the ECu will allow. At least when you've reached the top of the tolerance of that last bar.
When I test drove the prius for a week, I had the 8 bars lit up every day!
You see, I live 1500 feet above the city, and the road is five miles long. So, when I go up I nearly discharged the battery, but going down, it get's filled up very easily! (B mode: it's very steep & curvy)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If the drive is steep enough, you would be using electric assist the whole way, so yes, you could get down to 2 or even 1 red bar.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If the drive is steep enough, you would be using electric assist the whole way, so yes, you could get down to 2 or even 1 red bar.
To give you an idea of how steep it is, with my 5-speed manual car, it's all 2nd-3rd. No chance in getting the 4th in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hyperion said:
If this were true Danman then we are not driving a completely viable car. Would the car continue to the top on the "ICE" with a completely exhausted battery? or would you be stranded with an "800" Toyota phone number.
Yes it does. Having had a prius to test drive I took a lot of liberties:

If I climb like Eddie Merckx on his Subaru, I will not arrive to the top that the car changes behaviour: it goes on ICE alone stedy as a 1500cc with 70Hp would do.

The same if I take the liberty to drive at 170 km/h (that is, flat out) for over 15 minutes. Eventually the battery has 1 Bar, the car slows down a bit (162 km/h) and, if I slow down, the ICE will not rest until it's charged up the battery to normal blue colour.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"If this were true Danman then we are not driving a completely viable car. Would the car continue to the top on the "ICE" with a completely exhausted battery? or would you be stranded with an "800" Toyota phone number."

You'll make it to the top, but it might be at a reduced speed (45-50mph?). I've climbed SoCal mountains and have never had this happen. I don't drive slowly, either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts