Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live in Sweden, which probably have one of the highest fuel taxes in the world, I made a little calculation.
The cheapest gasoline here is 95 octane unleaded, which is the fuel that approx. 95 % of the cars here use. It cost 11,29 Sek/litre. That is 1,44 dollars/litre. As far as I know a gallon is 3,79 litres. That totals a fuelprice of 5,47 $/gallon.

Do you think I would save some money if I cut my fuelconsumption by 60 % by buying a Prius?? :D

So, what fueloctane is the most common in the U.S, and whats the price?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
87 is regular here. Here in the west coast of Canada, it fluctuates between 89.9¢/litre to 103.8¢/litre. 89 is midgrade, 91/92 is premium and 94 is super

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
97 is common, and it costs $2.60 on the west coast, lower elsewhere.

P.S. (Yup, 87. Damn, can't type at midnight... I'll leave it at "97" or the later comments will make no sense!)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
What you can do is convert to avg cost per mile for your car vs Prius, then estimate # of miles it would take to recoup the extra paid to get the car.
Other items to factor however include maintenance. For the most part, unless something major happens to break down out of warranty, maintenance costs are very low for the Prius.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Relax DanMan, i´ve already done my calculation for a car change, and I really would have a lower cost/mile compared to my current car. More loss of value, but much less fuel cost makes it a good deal anyway. The hard part is to convince my wife that we need a car with even more gadgets than my Citroen. Any suggestions to a stubborn wife, anyone..?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They might measure octane differently in Sweden. After all, the 'octane' rating in the US is actually an average of two different measurements. Since 'Super Ultra Supreme' in the US is only at most 95 octane, I find it hard to imagine that Sweden uses that as their low point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find it hard to believe that 95 "swedish" octane would be any less than 95 "american" octane. The level of octane is just a matter of how pure you want to get it. The standard octane levels in Sweden is 95, 96 & 98, but you can get different kind of race fuels with well over 100 octane. The american fuel is dirtier, but you pay less than half of the swedish prices. The higher octane, the higher compression you can use in the engine. Higher compression = more power. Most cars that is avaliable in both europe and the u.s with same engines has lower compression in american versions and accordingly less horsepower.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
sprett said:
... The hard part is to convince my wife that we need a car with even more gadgets than my Citroen. Any suggestions to a stubborn wife, anyone..?
Hey, sprett, you sound like a nice enough guy. Did you read the thread where we just beat the living daylights out of a guys kid (a phi beta, summa cum laude, no less) because he called his dad a fool for buying a Prius ? Are you sure you want to ask that question about your wife ? :shock: to this crowd ? :shock: I'm not sure you appreciate the volley of trash humor we are so capable of...(all in fun of course)

I've got about 3 "answers" I'm already to post, but I'm going to give you one last chance to edit that question out... before I fire away. :D

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
There is Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON). I believe in the U.S., the average (R+N)/2 is what is usually published at the pump, but the typically higher RON is used in Europe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, there is two different ways of measuring octane, but your fuel is still dirtier than mine. I started to read about MON and RON but it nearly made me fall asleep....But the difference between MON and RON seems to less than 2 units.

And yes, I´m an very nice guy, although I might offend someone with my lousy english. But hey, how good are You guys at Swedish, huh?

And, I started to read the thread about the father and the "alfa beta kappa obnoxious son" but when it turned into a "bashing in the head" thing I quit reading. I hope it will be an easier way to convince my wife..

I want the Prius for fueleconomy and all the gadgets. My wife doesn´t fill the tank and she never uses the gadgets in our car today. She can´t even understand why the cruise control is one of gods gifts to human. She´s just worried about the tiny luggage space in the Prius. Women!!!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Met him on a MONday and he looked so fine....Da dooo RON RON RON, da dooo RON RON...

PS. I'm stinky at Swedish. I never could translate the Swedish Chef on the Muppets.

PPS. I wasn't advocating "bashing" in the head. Just smacking. Open hand, usually to the back or side of the head, without much force. It's more to make a point and NOT to cause injury. We do not injure our children. And our children should not injure their parents - by speech or actions.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
sprett said:
I want the Prius for fueleconomy and all the gadgets. My wife doesn´t fill the tank and she never uses the gadgets in our car today. She can´t even understand why the cruise control is one of gods gifts to human. She´s just worried about the tiny luggage space in the Prius. Women!!!
When I visited Stockholm & a few of its suburbs, on business in the '70s, I found Swedes delightful hosts, very sensitive to the environment, living in a country with apparently no homeles or severe poverty, low crime, respect for the elderly, and some of the most advanced social consciousness of any nation I visited in Europe. And the city was so clean ! (I spent all my free time walking through old town)

Now, with that ethic, getting your Swedish wife to accept a Prius, the cleanest, most environmentally considerate car on the planet, should be a pushover... if you just explain to her your obligation to the nation to continue its outstanding reputation !! 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts