Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've never had luck getting more than about 8 gallons into my '04 prius. Going from one pip (not blinking) to auto-shutoff only results in 7.6-7.9 gallons. MPG's been averaging 46-48 so that means after about 360 miles I'm back in the station. :cry:

I took it into the dealer for the tech bulletin fix about a year ago, but the situation did not improve. They said that they installed some sort of new vent, but insist that because the tank's a collapsable bladder, it's just not going to get much better.

Any discussion? It's about to go off warantee and if the dealer's feeding me a line then I want to make them fix it soon.

RJH

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my 2005 at the beginning of Nov., and that's about all I have been able to put in mine as well.

I ususally fill up when there is 1 or 2 pips (only seen it blink once), and it takes in the high 7's or low 8's and then shows full. I am getting just under 400 to the 'tank'..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my 2005 at the beginning of Nov., and that's about all I have been able to put in mine as well.

I ususally fill up when there is 1 or 2 pips (only seen it blink once), and it takes in the high 7's or low 8's and then shows full. I am getting just under 400 to the 'tank'..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never look for a gas station until the last pip starts to blink. I usually get 9 plus gallons into it. I have gotten over 10 gallons in, but it burped gas onto my shoes so I don't force the issue. I generally get about 450 mi per tank.

My experience is that the guage works a lot like every other gas guage. It is more accurate at the bottom of the scale than at the top. It also reads a little low at the bottom, meaning that it encourages you to get gas before it's really close to empty. I have run out once, it took 10.65 gallons.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
That's normal for my '05 this time of year. Don't we all suffer from tiny bladders in cold weather? Oh... perhaps that falls under "overshare."

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
To prevent belching, burp the baby every .1-.2 gallons by pulling out the nozzle when you reach the last few gallons.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"I've never had luck getting more than about 8 gallons into my '04 prius. Going from one pip (not blinking) to auto-shutoff only results in 7.6-7.9 gallons"
With one pip left I usually get close to 10 gallons on a 04 model. I use the slowest fill notch on the pump handle. Filling slowly seems to make a difference. "Topping off" won't add much plus it's not recommended for the bladder type tank.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I usually fill up at 3 pips and get 6-7.5 gallons each time. Normally at 5AM and the ambient temp is 38-45 F and the vehicle has been driven 47miles to the base.

Hmmmm, maybe i should try the burp and slow fill method?

Walt

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
wstander said:
I usually fill up at 3 pips and get 6-7.5 gallons each time. Normally at 5AM and the ambient temp is 38-45 F and the vehicle has been driven 47miles to the base.

Hmmmm, maybe i should try the burp and slow fill method?

Walt
That sounds about right. You might be able to squeeze one more gallon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My experience is about the same. The last time I got gas the gauge went from two bars to one bar blinking. I filled up right away and was only able to put in 7.29 gallons. I tried to cram the gas in when I first got the car two years ago, but it spilled. I don't make that mistake anymore.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you do cram, do so in .2 gallon increments, pulling out the nozzle at each increment. You shouldn't spill then.

You have to burp the baby, or it will spit up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I filled up about two weeks ago from a flashing bar, I got a whopping 11.5 gallons into the Prius. Normally I get only 9 to 9.5 gallons. The stations nozzle was broken and it did not auto-shuttoff. I was looking at the fuel nozzle when the gas started coming out! :shock: I was able to go 550 miles on that tank with one non-flashing bar remaining.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had the gas almost spill out using the lowest setting. I have been afraid to use it since. I always use the second setting on the pump. It seems the Pruis tank is way more sensitive than most cars, and I would rather not take chances spilling gas.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"When I filled up about two weeks ago from a flashing bar, I got a whopping 11.5 gallons into the Prius. Normally I get only 9 to 9.5 gallons."
I had a similar experience when I first got the Prius in 04. I filled up about 20 miles after the blinking started. (Slow fill and two little top-off squirts). It took 11.7 gallons. That scared me to the point where I now NEVER let the blinker start. One solid bar (pip) and I head for the pits.
I have no clue if the Prius tank will burn it's self totally dry but most gas tanks...(airplanes, cars, boats) will not. IMO.. Playing chicken with a notoriously unreliable gas guage is asking for trouble

·
Registered
80 Posts
JDavies said:
"When I filled up about two weeks ago from a flashing bar, I got a whopping 11.5 gallons into the Prius. Normally I get only 9 to 9.5 gallons."
I had a similar experience when I first got the Prius in 04. I filled up about 20 miles after the blinking started. (Slow fill and two little top-off squirts). It took 11.7 gallons. That scared me to the point where I now NEVER let the blinker start. One solid bar (pip) and I head for the pits.
I have no clue if the Prius tank will burn it's self totally dry but most gas tanks...(airplanes, cars, boats) will not. IMO.. Playing chicken with a notoriously unreliable gas guage is asking for trouble
I don't normally take it to the flashing bar as I learned my lesson on that one the hard way. I was already on my way to the station when it started flashing. I usually fill at 2 or 1 pips depending on my commute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts