Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up with the tank? I filled until the pump shut off and then of course tied to squeeze a few more ounces in. Drove off only to notice I was one bar down on the gauge! Went back and was able to put in another 1.6 gallons. The damb tank burped???!! What's that!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
that's the bladder for ya. one of the major quirks of the car...

eventually you kinda get used to it, but it can be a pain in the tail.

i just fill till it stops and leave it at that. what's the point of spending even more time at the gas station and smelling gas and other cars' emissions longer than necessary? :lol:

also, fighting with it can damage the check valve that lets air out of the space between the bladder and the metal tank... then you're putting gas into the space between the bladder and the metal tank and that does you no good either. :?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I filled up yesterday. Added a few extra pumps. After 22 miles I was down a pip. Even considering the cold weather, that's pretty bad. The MFD shows I am building up to 35mpg on short trips during these cold days, but 22 miles was a shock!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've found that if I fill slowly, it works better. I put the trigger handle on the first catch position and let it fill while I enter data in the log and my pda. When it clicks off, I wait a few seconds, remove the nozzle to let the pressure down, and then put more fuel in until I can round off the price.

I hope that eventually some one will make an after market tank that eliminates the bladder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
romad said:
I hope that eventually some one will make an after market tank that eliminates the bladder.
The bladder is a major component of the emission reduction system of the Prius. It helps traps vapors from the gas tank and keep them from the outside air. Yes it does cause a few headaches and smaller than other wise fill-ups, but it's there for a reason.

·
Registered
257 Posts
petteri said:
romad said:
The bladder is a major component of the emission reduction system of the Prius. It helps traps vapors from the gas tank and keep them from the outside air. Yes it does cause a few headaches and smaller than other wise fill-ups, but it's there for a reason.
The bladder is a solution to a non-existent problem as any "emissions" from the fuel tank have been taken care of quite well by the systems in use for the last 20 - 30 years. I would rather have a REAL fuel tank with the proven technology.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The possibility that the ICE may not run for a long while while in EV mode or while stopped in traffic (NOT idling), coupled with the ICE spinning without combustion under some circumstances, makes the potential for pumping of unburned fumes through the ICE an emission problem.

A normal evap system (tank, charcoal, vac line to intake manifold) may not meet standards. This may be part of the cost of the hybrid approach vs. a conventional ICE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
romad said:
petteri said:
romad said:
The bladder is a solution to a non-existent problem as any "emissions" from the fuel tank have been taken care of quite well by the systems in use for the last 20 - 30 years. I would rather have a REAL fuel tank with the proven technology.
I have a Honda Hybrid too and the california version which gets a SULEV rating (vs ULEV) also have a bladder gas tank. So the SULEV versions capacity is 10 gallons give or take and the other verson is 11 gallons.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
romad said:
petteri said:
romad said:
Hear that "pshhh" sound when you release the gas cap some times when you fill up? That's the gas vapour escaping. The bladder eliminates that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
romad said:
Damn! Since my tank isn't real, I guess I won't bother filling it any more! Talk about great mileage!! :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
evaporative emissions from gas tanks

evaporative emissions from gas tanks when they are being refilled is a surprisingly large air pollution problem. The cars do contain charcoal canisters to try to capture these fumes, but further controls, such as the bladder, also help. My advice would be to accept the bladder, and not to try to force more gasoline into the tank. Anyway, a lot of the top-off escapes as evaporative emissions, so you're spending your money for gasoline that does you no good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts