Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what point do you refuel? is it problematic to let a prius get to almost empty? i'd like to do that to see how far i could go, but the manual sez something about not going below a quarter tank...

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I typically refill at 2 pips. Sometimes one pip. But I never wait until the gas gage is flashing. That is bad. We call it a guess gage because it is not all that accurate and it certainly isn't linear.

·
Registered
199 Posts
fill`'er up

I used to wait till the last minute in the Sport Trac, and have put in 22 gallons. I too am uncomfortable going too much against the manual and tend to fill up at 2-3 bars. It's so much quicker and soooo much cheaper to pay for 7+/- gallons instead of 21-22!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I fill up when the gauge gets down to 1 pip anywhere on my trip to or from work. That means I drive at most 35 miles or so on the last pip before filling up. Sometimes it flashes for the last few miles but not for very long. I have been doing this for over a year and have over 28,000 miles on the car and have never had a problem. My average MPG is 52-54 lifetime.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I fill up sometime after 400 miles, which is usually a bit after the last pip starts blinking. I have yet to put in more than about 9.3 gallons, and the tank is supposed to hold 11.9, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I used to be able to put in 11+ gallons, but lately it has been in the middle 10 gallons. Lately my guage has been reading lower than it used to. Personal experience tells me I can go safely up to 50 miles @ 55MPG after the last pip starts blinking. I have gone as far as 82 miles on a blinking pip. But then I was having to put 12+ gallons in the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had actually called Toyota and asked them why I was filling up between 8 and 9 gallons (less in the winter) on a 12 gallon tank. They told me that they wanted to make sure that the driver had ample warning to fill up in plenty of time. They told me that once the last Pip starts blinking, there are 2 gallons left which at 50 MPG would take you 100 miles.

While I would certainly not try to drive close to 100 miles on a blinking last Pip, I certainly have no problem waiting until the last Pip starts blinking and then filling up at the next available gas station even if I don't find one for 20 or 30 miles.

What does Pip stand for?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure everyone has heard the stories about not letting the tank get to low because of debris... which by the way... is an OWT. However... in many cars, there is a valid reason why you should not let the fuel get low.

Many cars now have the high pressure fuel pump located inside the tank... and often they are made with plastic parts. They actually get their cooling from the fuel they are immersed in. As the level gets low, the cooling comes from fuel just sloshing around againt the pump... and eventually that diminishes too.

I just paid a $650 repair bill, plus a AAA towing because of this on my daughter's car.

I have no idea if the Prius has a pump in the tank... but my advice is in general... fill up between 1/4 and 1/2.

/Jim

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
It is not only located in the tank, but the whole smaltz has to be dropped to replace it..............Waiting for any kind of a "blinking Pip" is just asking for it!
I bet you have nightmares where you run out of gas, and as you run endlessly towards a gas station that never gets any closer, you're being chased by a crowd of thousands of nameless faces all with flashiing pips over their heads. :p

Oh wait..that's me, not you

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
hyperion said:
I'm still surprised at any mention of the fuel quantity situation with this car. Does not anyone think about filling up at the next convenient time when they see a quarter tank indicated? It's certainly not like going to the dentist!
Am I the only owner who has NEVER seen a blinking "pip."
Sorry hyp, you aren't the only one that never seen the blinking pip. Neither have I.

·
Registered
75 Posts
jwygal said:
I fill up sometime after 400 miles, which is usually a bit after the last pip starts blinking. I have yet to put in more than about 9.3 gallons, and the tank is supposed to hold 11.9, if I remember correctly.
It is obvious that you live in California, filling up at 400 would mean I would be out pushing the car for the last 100 miles in the winter. Here in Connecticut I am lucky to get 300 miles before the last pip starts blinking. Between the cold weather, having the heater going and snow covered roads, I get about 35 – 38 mpg instead the 48 - 52 mpg I get in the summer months.

·
Registered
581 Posts
melgish said:
hyperion said:
It is not only located in the tank, but the whole smaltz has to be dropped to replace it..............Waiting for any kind of a "blinking Pip" is just asking for it!
I bet you have nightmares where you run out of gas, and as you run endlessly towards a gas station that never gets any closer, you're being chased by a crowd of thousands of nameless faces all with flashiing pips over their heads. :p

Oh wait..that's me, not you
You have coding too many of those green hairdryer people :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
recalled05 said:
What does Pip stand for?
A 'pip' is to be defined as one of the dots on dice, or any defined spot used to indicate a value. The inverted 'V' on a radar scope is also called a pip. In the British Military, it is a diamond shaped insignia. Also, a small fruit seed.

It is a word, not an acronym.

Walt (on loan from Webster's :wink: :wink: )

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
wstander said:
You have coding too many of those green hairdryer people :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh how I wish I could be doing something so exciting....

No instead I write Visual Basic 6.0 (not even .NET) code that connects banking software with host systems.

Every day it's 'move this field to that field' or 'read this field from that field'
or
Strip the dashes from this phone number... add the dashes to that phone number..

It pays the bills, but does nothing to improve my sanity.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
wstander said:
recalled05 said:
What does Pip stand for?
A 'pip' is to be defined as one of the dots on dice, or any defined spot used to indicate a value. The inverted 'V' on a radar scope is also called a pip. In the British Military, it is a diamond shaped insignia. Also, a small fruit seed.

It is a word, not an acronym.

Walt (on loan from Webster's :wink: :wink: )
Also the name of the male protagonist in Great Expectations. Good old Dickens. Now HE was a pip!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts