Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the info Brad! I just picked up my Prius about 4 weeks ago and didn't seem to have the fuel gage issues discussed on this board. My VIN number is outside/later than the range given so I guess the last batch of '04s has already been updated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pshady said:
is it safe to assume that this affects only older '04 Priuses? I'm picking mine up this Sat.
Glad to hear! You said you're getting a black #9 also, right? At least 2 in one city... :)

Sounds like it. You should, as I understand it, be able to put 11-11.9 gallons of gas in the first time you refill if you wait until the last bar blinks...

·
Registered
75 Posts
After reading the TSB, what I want to know is “What the heck is the inclination sensor used for?” Is it to calculate the fuel level in the tank or what?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes, the inclination sensor is supposed to measure what angle your car is at, so it can change its fuel estimate. (Have you ever had a car that said you were on E when you were going downhill, only to go up to 1/4 of a tank left when you started going uphill? Or vice versa.) I know my Hyundai Accent varies by almost a quarter of a tank, depending on whether I park it facing uphill or downhill.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bradca21 said:
I have just contacted my local dealer's service department. Faxed him a copy of the TSB I was referring to and he's calling back shortly to let me know how long the process takes.
I'll keep you all informed
Got a call back. Service manager said it'll take the better part of a day. Just bring it early, rent a car and they'll call me in the evening. And it's totally covered by the warranty (all but the rental) so all in all not a bad deal. Probably go in next week early. He recommended Mon-Thurs. Seems standard for the service departments around the country, but specifically for this location.
Check with yours to be sure

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the info, Brad. I called my tech and he had yet to hear of the service bulletin! So he went on line as we spoke and saw it. Said I could do it at my 15K servicing, by which time they should have all the parts in stock. Good to know now it'll take a day to do, though.

Susan
04 Silver BC

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have a question about this TSB. My car's VIN falls into the range of the "filler pipe only" fix (btw, for the curious amonst you, I got my car fresh off the boat in April, 2004).

I am not unhappy with my car's performance, nor with the accuracy of the gas guage on my car. So my first-blush reaction is to avoid having this work done on my car.

Actually, I am strongly opposed to having any non-essential work done by any service department. It just increases the odds of something major going wrong. (sorry service guys)

So my question is this: Is the filler pipe fix absolutely necessary? If I decide to avoid doing this work, what bad thing(s) might happen to my car? What about the honoring of my warranty for future problems? Does my "opt-out" put me at risk for future work-avoidance by dealer service departments?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have to say that my Prius build date in July and now on the third tank has preformed like any other car I have owned with regard to the gas gage and fill ups. Fill ups at just under 9 gallons both times with two bars left on gage. The gage preforms like a analog gage slow at each end faster in the middle range. I am going to let it get lower this time to the blinking stage. I usually don't do that sort of thing but I want to see what happens. My general practice is to keep the fuel tank full. I fill up by 1/4 left on the gage sometimes 1/2 depending on my schedule.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
BIF said:
I have a question about this TSB. My car's VIN falls into the range of the "filler pipe only" fix (btw, for the curious amonst you, I got my car fresh off the boat in April, 2004).

I am not unhappy with my car's performance, nor with the accuracy of the gas guage on my car. So my first-blush reaction is to avoid having this work done on my car.

Actually, I am strongly opposed to having any non-essential work done by any service department. It just increases the odds of something major going wrong. (sorry service guys)

So my question is this: Is the filler pipe fix absolutely necessary? If I decide to avoid doing this work, what bad thing(s) might happen to my car? What about the honoring of my warranty for future problems? Does my "opt-out" put me at risk for future work-avoidance by dealer service departments?

Thanks in advance!
A TSB is not a customer opt-out. It is a customer opt-in (a fix for a specific reported/observed problem).

If you don't have the problem, the dealer isn't going to fix it when you show up...

All a TSB is is a Technical Service Bulletin. often it's repair manual updates, reminders to service techs, or a procedure to fix a specific problem when it is noticed that it is occuring frequently (and that the individual service tech doesn't have to reinvent the fix procedure for something that's already known).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Finally, Toyota has addressed the nagging problem of fuel filling accuracy.

To summarize what it says:

1. Some owners may have experienced problems filling their fuel tanks to the stated capacity.

2. Some owners may experience inaccuracies in their fuel guages.

3. Some may experience both.

The fix involves installing a new fuel tank neck and a new fuel flow meter.
Depending on the results of test performed at the dealer, one or more of the above parts may be installed. Some VIN numbers will experience both, some VIN numbers have only one symptom.

Check you VIN number against those listed at the top of the TSB printout before contacting your dealer.

I talked to my dealer and he's already seen the TSB , a good sign, and I'm bringing HUMU in next Wednesday. He said that it will take the technicians about a hour and a half to run the various tests to determine which parts they need to order. Apparently, while the problem seems to be the same for the affected cars, the parts needed to fix them are not. Anyway, I might get the whole thing done on Wednesday or have to come back to have the parts installed if they are not in stock. My dealer has two techs specializing in Prii, which appears to be two more than many dealers.
More recent Prii aren't affected. A coworker picked his up a month ago and it's fine.
Bob
p.s. If you bring it in to a dealer with a "complaint" about fuel inaccuracy, it will be repaired under warranty, but it is not a recall item. You need to initiate the fix.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Correct me if I'm interpreting this wrong:
EL010-04 page 2 said:
1. Verify that the Parts Department has received the new combination meter computer with the vehicle’s correct mileage.
Sounds like it might be at least an overnight task; i.e. drop it off day 1, they read the odometer, call it in and overnight it for replacement on day 2. I'm considering having this done during my next week off work, dropping it off on a Monday and picking it up when it's "done right".

I'm less concerned about being able to track accurately myself (I have noticed and recorded variances) as getting it done "during the warranty period" so that the next owner (whether my wife or anyone else) won't have to deal with/worry about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts