Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to review, I had the fuel gauge TSB - both parts - done in late January. They remove the dash to do this service. By the first 3rd week of February I noticed the dash and speedo instrument panel bouncing around as I drove over bumps in the road. Brought it in, waited 5 days for parts and they "fixed" it. Problem not fixed, got worse over the month of March. Needless to say, the fuel gauge TSB was also completely ineffective. But that's another post.

Today I brought it in again and was told that the reason there's play under the large horizontal dash surface (the part starting from the windshield in, ending where it abuts the black dash part behind the steering wheel) when you press down on it is that that surface is only a 1/4 inch thick cover with nothing under it to support it. The instrument pod is attached to the underside of it and if the dash moves, the pod moves. After they took it apart now multiple times, and after another 2000 miles, the plastic clips have loosened up so it's not held in tightly. They're ordering another dash cover, hoping that the new plastic attachment clips will be tauter and hold more tightly. The part may come in tomorrow or in 6 weeks. I'll let you know! In the meantime, at least I'm still driving my Prius, not a loaner, and I was reassured that the electronics in the instrument pod will not become disconnected. I hope that's true. I'm disappointed in Toyota's design and QC here. Never had a Toyota that felt so flimsy. My '87 Corolla was a tank in comparison.

So really, don't bother with the fuel gauge TSB. I surmised that it's all about the bag not expanding well in cold weather. This was confirmed by 2 Prius techs at my dealership.

Susan
'04 Silver BC
19975 miles
I still love this car - just frustrated with the dealership and Toyota's corner-cutting.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I have some updates. I thought the problem was pretty much fixed when I got the car back in May smelling of epoxy. It seemed pretty solid, but within a few hundred miles it was bouncing again. And I noticed that the defoster grill just under the windshield was broken and out of place *again*- clearly from being bounced out. So today I took it in for my 25K servicing and asked them to look into the dash once again. I was given the appointment for today since some Toyota Engineers were lined up to make their monthly visit to Morristown Toyota (NJ) so they took a look. I now have an appointment for next month when they're there again to reassemble the dash with new innards - something about what I picture as molded styrofoam over which they'll put the skin of the dash. Think that'll help? :roll:

I should say that the dealership is not giving me any kind of argument about this. They're getting me free loaners and it seems like the techs are doing whatever they think is best - it just hasn't worked up to now. So I'm not angry, just frustrated.

I love my car. I don't love that it feels so cheap. When it's better I'll feel better.

Susan
04 silver BC
26500 miles
50.2 this tank

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, Bigguy,

Toyota mails out notices of TSB's to customers when they are issued. I originally found out about each one I've received - 3, I think - by reading this board and PriusChat and the Yahoo boards.

I'm surprised and dismayed to read of your issues. Those are not the kinds of things one would expect from Toyota, and I haven't heard or read from anyone else of such defects. Did the dealership make good on them?

Susan

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

As of my appointment last week, I think they finally may have solved the bouncing dash problem. However, there was some confusion about whether or not field engineers worked on the car. Various service people at the dealership said various things, like the engineers were not actually at the dealership during my Oct. appointment. Then the service manager said they were there. At this point I have no idea, but I got the car back and dash seems pretty solid. I saw some mechanic's notes about reinforcing the underlayment and the manager swore to me it won't happen again.

I'm considering going to a different dealership because I feel like I've been lied to and manipulated.

Now that the weather's cooler here in NJ, my tank is harder and harder to fill. Yesterday, with 250 miles on the tank, 46 mpg on the MFD, 4 bars left and a trip to NYC coming up, I had to squeeze in 4.6 gallons. I know it didn't fill because the 1st two bars are now gone with 110 miles on the tank. All summer, it took 150 miles to lose the first bar. *sigh* What exactly was the point of that fuel gauge TSB again??? :roll:

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, Bif,

What exactly was the point of that fuel gauge TSB again?

Your bladdered gas tank's capacity will decrease by as much as 1.5 gallons

Yes, that's my point exactly. The guess gauge problem has more to do with the bladder and temperature than constant tank capacity calibration of gas. So what the point of the whole TSB procedure was I have no idea. But I'm getting over the frustration some because the rest of the car is so great.

I realized that the tech "cool" factor is one of the things that pleases me so much about this car. I'm just as tickled by how cool jump drives are. I only own one computer and no handhelds or iPods, so I have no use for one, but I really want one anyway!! :lol:

Susan

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bouncing dash again

It's baaaaaaaaack . . . :x

The dash has loosened up and has been bouncing for months. I've been hesitating to have it dismantled AGAIN but it's driving me crazy. I just got off the phone with the service manager who gave me an appt to bring it in. They'll call the field engineers, etc. This is beginning to feel like the movie Groundhog Day! I suggested farming it out this time to the amazing body shop they use who does wonderful work, but no, bring it in to the dealer. This will be their 4th shot at repairing it. I hope they can combine this with the steering wheel recall. Geez, maybe I shoudln't have them do that???

Sigh. I'll let you know what happens. The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting different results. :roll:

Susan
04 silver BC
almost 40K miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.