Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2001 Prius currently have 185000km on it and I didn't change the fuel filter yet since my dealer told me I don't need to. I just want to ask do I relly no need to change the fuel filter? Also, what is the location if the fuel filter for the first gen prius?

·
Registered
582 Posts
fuel filter

An important implication of MRV's response is that the Prius fuel filter *cannot* be changed w/o changing the entire fuel tank assembly - at least I have never read that it could be! Assuming this is correct, any fueling with rust or sediment-containing fuel could have very expensive consequences. Perhaps the only time this would come up is with "emergency" refueling from a questionable source. If the fuel does not appear crystal-clear, one precaution might be to use a funnel lined with a paper coffee filter. Perhaps we are taking a lot on faith every time we refuel!

DAS

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: INTERESTING....

When flying light aircraft in Mexico and fueling from a 55-gallon drum, filtering through chamois was the key to being absolutely sure the fuel was free of trash.

Some stations in my Texas area have "in-line" fuel filters in the hose between the pump and filler nozzle - shows up as a black cylinder in the hose. I always feel more comfortable fueling at these stations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fuel Filter

ChasSuitt said:

When flying light aircraft in Mexico and fueling from a 55-gallon drum, filtering through chamois was the key to being absolutely sure the fuel was free of trash.

Some stations in my Texas area have "in-line" fuel filters in the hose between the pump and filler nozzle - shows up as a black cylinder in the hose. I always feel more comfortable fueling at these stations.
What a waste of bandwidth! :x

·
Registered
344 Posts
my husband just changed out the fuel filter in his 87 camry, which is also positioned inside the fuel tank. it got very nasty and the car wouldn't run.

i imagine it would be very costly if it's even possible, as it was a huge pain to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fuel Filter replacement

ChasSuitt said:

Troll...Troll...Troll! :evil:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
First off, GenTojo, you sort of have this thing about trolls. They have only added "spice" to some of the posts here, but then again your objections may come from where you live. It's not indicated.
And Charles, about those added fuel filters in gas station hoses. I would feel hesitant in buying gas from any station that purchased a product he had to add additional filteration too before selling.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Howdy hyperion

I feel the inline filter on gasolene pump hoses is added protection. Even if the fuel in the transport is absolutely clean, underground tanks can leak. I see these filters on at least two major brand stations in my area.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Don't doubt that you might need them. In my life I have only heard stories about bad gas in the States once and that happened to several of my neighbors who purchased gas at an economy station that used to be located at entrance to "Trophy Club." But I have driven "coast to coast" about a half dozen times and I have never seen a hose filter, and I have to confess, if I did I might just move on to the next station.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Fuel Pump Filters

Some of the gas stations used to have a filter in-line on the hose, near the pump handle (I think Standard used to have these). But, now I think most pumps have them installed inside the base of the pump housing.

I saw a pump being serviced a couple of years ago, and it had a Fram spin-on oil filter in-line with the hose, inside the pump base. The station was changing it because they had gotten a load of fuel that had water condensation in it, and the moisture clogged the filter. They said that they were changing filters every few hours until they pumped all of the "bad" gas and got a new load.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chamois

I would like to defend the mention of filtering with a chamois in this thread.

There have been several instances in the past few months where large groups of people have had to evacuate their homes (LA, TX, AL, MS, FL). I have been considering storing 10 gallons of gasoline (safely) in case I had to top off before trying to out run a dirty bomb or antrax release. ( I am part of that crowd that likes to put off filling up. )

Until reading this thread I never considered that I might have to filter the gasoline but now I think that I would. Replacing a filter on a mower is easy, it sounds like replacing my Prius filter is a real ordeal.

I had heard about using chamois to filter gasoline but I thought the purpose of using chamois was to catch any water in the fuel.

Sorry to use up all this band width! I've got a Prius, so you know that in other respects I am very interested in saving resources.

Roger

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fuel filter replacement

ChasSuitt said:
:) Howdy hyperion

I feel the inline filter on gasolene pump hoses is added protection. Even if the fuel in the transport is absolutely clean, underground tanks can leak. I see these filters on at least two major brand stations in my area.
What scientific EVIDENCE do you have that "inline filter on gasoline pump hoses is added protection"? :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: Fuel filter replacement

GeneralTojo said:
What scientific EVIDENCE do you have that "inline filter on gasoline pump hoses is added protection"? :?: :?: :?: :?:
How about this...

The filters do get dirty and must be replaced. Just recently I was at a station where this was beign done...

The dirt that cloggs the filters must come from somewhere

It's a closed system, the only place that dirt can come from is the fuel

Since dirt is being removed from the fuel, the filtered fuel contains less dirt.

Less dirt in the fuel is better for the vehicle, for a lot of reasons but I'll give you 1 solid one... there will be less dirt to clog the fuel filter in the vehicle, and it will last longer.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I had heard about using chamois to filter gasoline but I thought the purpose of using chamois was to catch any water in the fuel. "

I have heard this, too, especially if the gas has been stored a long while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts