Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
945 Posts
mrv said:
hyperion said:
What's pretty high? If it's a 16th of an inch it is probably the same as 80% of the Prius's who have had their oil changed by Toyota. They are all adding 4 qts at the change instead of 3.9. I'm surprised they just don't stick in a 4 qt. dip stick.
You can get the 3.9 if you check the car with the service manager after oil change when he informs you that the small amount doesn't matter and a "gosh" more is better than a "gosh" less. Whether you want to take his word for it or not is up to you.
I'll note that Priustek on the yahoogroups has stated that the Toyota-recommended 3.9 will put you right at the full mark. The suggestion is to use 3.5, and then top up as needed.
3 quarts is most convenient, and puts it halfway between the ADD and FULL marks. No topping off required.

· Registered
945 Posts
Someone could probably make a little money selling an aftermarket dipstick that has *one* mark on it: KEEP OIL LEVEL HERE EXACTLY. This will appeal to owners with visco-compulsive disorder :_> I'll stay with the anywhere-in-this-range-is-fine dipstick, which is what the design engineers put there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.