Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. i bought second hand prius nhw20
my car's

fuel consumption is 16/l so how can i reduce fuel consumption?

a week ago the car was scanned by serviceman so he said 12v LV battery has low voltage. can it affect to car for bad?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
can a/c and heater affect fuel consumption
Yes, but very little. The compressor is electrically driven and is variable speed, so there is no drag on the gas engine as with a conventional car. As for heat, the engine will run when needed to supply heat to the cabin. The bottom line is that cold weather reduces MPGs in all cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, but very little. The compressor is electrically driven and is variable speed, so there is no drag on the gas engine as with a conventional car. As for heat, the engine will run when needed to supply heat to the cabin. The bottom line is that cold weather reduces MPGs in all cars.
There is no free lunch. The ICE has to burn fuel to charge the battery and then the electric motor uses the battery to power the A/C compressor. There are conversion losses, none of the energy conversions are 100% efficient. Running the compressor off the engine is more efficient but... then the A/C would go off-line when the ICE shuts down (happens a lot.) Wouldn't want to bake while stopped in traffic. So yes, running the A/C reduces mileage, just maybe not as much as highway driving with the windows rolled down. Ahh, perpetual motion by any name...

Patrick

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I totally disagree that running the compressor off the engine is more efficient. When the compressor runs in that configuration it runs fully loaded. Since the electric compressor is variable speed, it is definitely more efficient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts