Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The airbag display light for the front passenger seat is different in my 06. When I drive alone, or with my purse on the seat, all it says is "airbag". When one of my young daughters (8 & 10 y.o.) sits in the passenger seat, it says "airbag off". When my adult niece rode with me yesterday, it said "airbag on". Could this have something to do with the weight difference between my niece and my daughters? Is there a button or display I need to check? I just got the car on Sat., have looked a bit in the manual, but with the holiday yesterday I haven't had time to really read it yet.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is normal. There is a sensor that tells if there is an occupant in the seat and if they are less than a certain weight (I'm not sure what the specific weight is) it will not activate the airbag ("Airbag OFF"). Over that weight the airbag is activated ("Airbag ON"). Why the "Airbag" light is on if there is no one in the seat I have no idea.

I looked for it in the manual and don't recall seeing it mentioned there. I know I called the dealer and they explained it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It'll say AIRBAG OFF if there's something or someone light in the passenger seat AND the seatbelt is buckled.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You sure it doesn't have something to do with a really annoying passenger that keeps talking too much? "Windbag in" and "windbag out" to let you know when they're in the car or not...

But then, if they're truly a windbag, you'd know if they were there, wouldn't you? So that must not be it...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sanny said:
You sure it doesn't have something to do with a really annoying passenger that keeps talking too much? "Windbag in" and "windbag out" to let you know when they're in the car or not...

But then, if they're truly a windbag, you'd know if they were there, wouldn't you? So that must not be it...
Given the quality of the text in the owner's manual, that could be it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.