Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Tideland Pearl! I went to Vegas this weekend and left a crystal geyser water bottle on the front passenger seat. The 110 degree heat melted the sticky adhesive and now I have a gummy substance on my beautiful front seat. It's just a few lines of gummy, but it looks so noticable. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the stain??? Help!! :cry:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Adhesive Residue

This may be a little involved, but you should be able to get some info by doing the following:

Call Crystal Geyser Water and find out the brand name of the adhesive and label material (manufacturers and part numbers). Also, ask them for the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for them. They are required to keep this by OSHA, and it is public record for their employees and basically anyone who asks. The MSDS should have info on the exact material or chemical that is causing the stain or residue. Then ask them how to remove the material.

If the water bottler doesn't have any useful information, contact the adhesive manufacturer and ask them how to remove the residue.

Last resort, send an e-mail or letter to the "Queen of Clean" (TV personality), though she is probably just going to tell you to put vinegar or salt on it.

Also, ask the Toyota dealer. Sometimes they have special cleaners that can remove odd stains.

Good luck...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Adhesive Residue

My wife says to take a look at something called "Goo Gone". Evidently, the Queen of Clean swears by it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My wife uses Citra-Solv; seems to "eat" just about any adhesive. Of course, as with any solvent, "test in a small, inconspicuous area first".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bob Allen said:
Toyota might be able to direct you to the manufacturer of the upholstery who then might be able to give you more specific directions than your dealer could. Keep us posted.
Got this from this BB but I could not find the post again
The original poster claimed this was the manufacturer of the fabric

found it
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=1118

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: this works for me

Ephemeral said:
Ether and nail polish remover work on adhesives everytime I have used them.
Especially with Nail Polish Remover (Acetone), be very cautious. It attacks many plastics with a vengance. In the case of seats, test in a hidden area first, and if it's okay, do NOT saturate the seat lest it degrade the padding under the covers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goo Gone is awesome!! I applied a few drops to the adhesive and it came right off. Afterwards, I washed it with soap and water so that the goo gone wouldn't stain. Thanks everyone!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts