Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the front passenger airbag deploy horizontally out of the glove box, or does it pop at the seam between the upper door of the glove box and the dash? Or does it come from somewhere else? I ordered a dash carpet for my car to reduce glare and heat, and there was no provision in the order for an opening for the front airbag.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think the passenger airbag comes from the top of the dashboard, above the little "upper" glovebox door. Be careful, make room for that puppy, 'cause when they come out of there, they move like a truck!

I once came upon the aftermath of an accident, where this lady pulled out into traffic, attempting to make a left turn across a divided 4-lane highway. The car coming down the road from her left hit her, t-boning her driver's side. The "hitter" car's passenger airbag deployed, but the driver airbag did not.

The kid driving it was okay, but his girlfriend, in the passenger seat, sitting maybe a bit too far forward, looked like somebody just freshly punched her in the face. No, that's not quite right....she looked like she had just kissed a concrete wall instead of an airbag. She had certainly been knocked silly, and I thought maybe she had a broken facial bone or two, because she was all red, just beginning to swell up and turn into a not-so-lovely shade of purple. Luckily, the paramedics were on the scene very quickly, chasing everybody away and starting to look at her.

Don't put anything between your airbag and you! Because that's exactly where it will end up in an accident! While I'm on a rant, I don't understand these idiotic people who ride shotgun with their feet up on the dashboard airbag! Yow, don't they know they could be paralyzed or killed?

Okay, rant over. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
BIF said:
I don't understand these idiotic people who ride shotgun with their feet up on the dashboard airbag! Yow, don't they know they could be paralyzed or killed?
To quote my wife (to quote Ghostbusters):
Dr. Venkman said:
"Important safety tip; thanks, Egon."
8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also don’t put your feet up on the dash. A woman at work was in a minor accident and had her feet up on the dash when the air bags deployed. They shattered her knee caps and her hips and three years after the accident she still walks with a walker.

·
Registered
425 Posts
BIF said:
.... but his girlfriend, in the passenger seat, sitting maybe a bit too far forward, looked like somebody just freshly punched her in the face. No, that's not quite right....she looked like she had just kissed a concrete wall instead of an airbag.
Bet she wasnt wearing a seat belt and flew forwards into the bag & dash The bag would reduce the puch, but there would still be a hell of a mess on the fase.

I wouldnt use a dash mat on a car with airbags. The extra weight could effect the deployment ?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Diana_04Prius said:
Also don’t put your feet up on the dash. A woman at work was in a minor accident and had her feet up on the dash when the air bags deployed. They shattered her knee caps and her hips and three years after the accident she still walks with a walker.
Uuggh! What a disappointment. I'll bet she regrets that decision every day of her life. To have your mobility, your health, your very strength permanently diminished becuase of such a decision. :cry:

I wonder what a couple of strategically-placed Google searches would turn up on the number and seriousness of injuries to people doing the feet-on-dashboard thing during accidents? Well, I'll let somebody else do that search. Please report back if you find anything interesting!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Make sure to get a dash cover that allows that passenger airbag to deploy; it's very important. I hope this picture helps you; it shows where the airbags come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts