Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm picking up my new (read: second) Prius soon and I was thinking about getting a front end mask for it. I do a lot of highway travelling and often find a good coating of bugs on the front of my car. But i want to know your opinions. How many of you have/had them? Are they worth it? Any problems with them?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
The accessories guy at Toyota really tried to talk me out of the front end mask because of the maintenence. You must remove them when they get wet. In colorado, that would happen a lot! Rocks, sand , and dirt trapped under a bra will ruin the paint finish quicker than if it were exposed so constant cleaning is an issue too. Too much maintenence for me, maybe not for others.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I use a black vinyl bra, and have had no problems. It fits tightly and I have no problems with rocks or debris getting under it. I remove the hood piece when I wash the car, and leave the bottom on the bumper. So far (one year) no problems with fading, scratches, etc.

I got it for rock protection, not bugs. Search on the clear type becuase that may work better for you if bugs are the problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i don't take the bra off mine when it's wet... i think it's a load of crap. have had no problems in almost 10 months, no scratches or anything and the front end looks great.

i should take the hood cover off more often to wash underneath, but so far no scratches or anything under there. i used to do it every other week but i guess i got lazy.

the bottom piece has come off twice and was very, very clean because it fits so tightly. we put a good coat of wax under it and have been very happy with it overall.

bugs wash off very easily, and we only have one stone chip on our hood about halfway up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To me, the idea of any kind of cover attached to a moving vehicle is just asking for little scratches in the finish. I have had 2 new Covettes which were parked outside in the wind and weather. The first was covered with a custom rain resistent flannel lined cover. Within a month I could see sctratches in the paint over the entire car from every seam in the cover. This was from just sitting in the driveway, dust in the air, and normal action of the wind. I did not cover the second Vette! It seems to me driving the car with a bra in place would only speed up this process.

The color of your car may minimize appearence of this sanding action, lighter colors don't show these fine scratches as much (I wonder how the owner of the Black Prius avoids this, Black shows everything). I don't know how a slip-on cover can fit tight enough to prevent this. The factory uses stick-on plastic to protect the cars during shipment, they would certainly use reuseable covers if they worked.

One upside to a front end bra is it will prevent the stone chips, but are you just saving the car for the next owner? The solution to the fine scratches is to never take the bra off, you'll never see them, or be prepared to buff them out.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The whole thing reminds me of those plastic slipcovers that people used to put on their furniture to protect it. Sure they do the job but you can't enjoy the furniture as much when they are on. I say, if you like the look of them, go for it. If you don't, just let the car age as it will and enjoy it without worrying too much. If you absolutely must have the protection and don't like the look, the various Clear Bra type products are supposed to work very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i thought about a bra when i first purchased my prius but after 10,500 miles i've become less and less worried about small scratches and bugs. it's merely a car and in 5 years i'll be trading it in for new prius anyway. small scratches on the hood won't affect the trade-in value when i'll have close to 200,000 miles by the time i'm ready for a new prius.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i thought about purchasing the black bra...but then i heard the horrors... so i researched the invisible bra..... i heard wonderful comments about them....i was going 2 have one installed but it was going 2 be a hefty $568..... so i opted to buy the product from htttp://invinca-shield.com ..... they were having a sale...(still on thru jan). i installed it myself...it took a lot of patience....but i'm very happy with the results.....i ordered the deluxe kit...covers most of the problem areas.....i'm happy with it... & it looks good.....with little maintenance! :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
PartyGameGuy said:
The accessories guy at Toyota really tried to talk me out of the front end mask because of the maintenence. You must remove them when they get wet. In colorado, that would happen a lot! Rocks, sand , and dirt trapped under a bra will ruin the paint finish quicker than if it were exposed so constant cleaning is an issue too. Too much maintenence for me, maybe not for others.
Take it off when wet. Let me see. Coastal Pacific North West, take it off from like October to July. I don't think so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Prius in PA said:
Hey guys, I'm picking up my new (read: second) Prius soon and I was thinking about getting a front end mask for it. I do a lot of highway travelling and often find a good coating of bugs on the front of my car. But i want to know your opinions. How many of you have/had them? Are they worth it? Any problems with them?

Thanks
:idea: :idea:
A better idea, I think! I live in Florida, where we have the "love bugs." They cluster over the roads, look a bit like "lightning bugs," and spatter all over your windshield and the front of your car during a couple of weeks in the Spring and Fall.

I had my car protected with Ultra-Shield. This is a plastic film which is applied to the front of the car and to the rearview mirrors. It is almost invisible and is not a "bra" but a 3M film cut to fit exactly and adhered to the car. No problems with moisture underneath or with paint damage. I've been using it on my cars for about five years and have no complaints at all. The film was originally designed for application to the leading edges of helicopter blades for the military and is tough.

Here's the URL: http://www.ultrashieldusa.com/

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cocoatreat said:
invisible bra..... i heard wonderful comments about them....i was going 2 have one installed but it was going 2 be a hefty $568..... so i opted to buy the product from htttp://invinca-shield.com ..... they were having a sale...(still on thru jan). i installed it myself...it took a lot of patience....
I had black car bras on my previous 2 cars and never had a problem with scratches or the paint being rubbed off, and that was over the course of about 50,000 miles between the two. You can go to autoanything.com and choose from the ones made for your make/model and get one that is breatheable, so no not all need to be removed when getting wet. However I think it's definitely a good idea to take it off every few weeks (or as you see fit based on your own driving and weather) to wash the car underneath as some dirt does get trapped underneath so you'd want to wash that off before it has a chance to become abrasive on the finish.

But then I got the Prius and decided I didn't want the big black car bra.

I read the referenced above post, and then also got the film from Invinca-Shield and my buddy and I put it on -- if I had to do it over again I'd gladly pay the extra money to have a professional shop do it. Mine has several creases in it which can't be seen unless you're standing next to the car, but if you are next to it they don't look very good at all. So while I love the invisible shield film because of the way it's protected the front end from rocks and bugs, it's definitely not as easy as they state on the website and the video they send as part of the kit once it comes to covering the curved areas.

Good luck --

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a bra, had it on until it rained and it hasn't been back on since!

I wish that I hadn't spent the money.

Patti
2005 Tideland Pearl

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a bra, had it on until it rained and it hasn't been back on since!

I wish that I hadn't spent the money.

Patti
2005 Tideland Pearl

·
Registered
6 Posts
IndyDoug said:
i thought about a bra when i first purchased my prius but after 10,500 miles i've become less and less worried about small scratches and bugs. it's merely a car and in 5 years i'll be trading it in for new prius anyway. small scratches on the hood won't affect the trade-in value when i'll have close to 200,000 miles by the time i'm ready for a new prius.
You know, that'll be my situation too.... You helped me push over to the why bother side of the fence I was sitting on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts