Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the appropriate interval between oil changes. The dealer told us every 5000 miles, but the sticker on the top left windshield says 3000.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You are going to hear every option. I go with 5k myself. I would keep that dealer though for telling you 5,000. Most would try to get you to go every 3k. The manual says 5k.
Put it this way, my old Camry went to close to 240k, with oil changes every 5-6k. There were never any engine problems, and the compression tested fine when I tested it at like 180k. I recommend the Toyota filters though.

Spike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Use British oil then you need only change at our reccommended intervals of 10,000 miles (or every 12 months). Only joking about the origin!

·
Registered
224 Posts
You'll honestly be fine either way. There are oils out there that guarantee 15,000 miles, and I remember reading an article a while back from a couple of car experts that says most conventional oils of today, in today's modern car designs, would last at least 7,000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I go with 5K, which takes me 2 months to drive. I use the factory oil filters and also replace the crush washer at the same time. Takes about 10 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've had my car 3 1/2 months and have only driven 2500 miles. I was told to have the oil changed at 3000, and was looking forward to it with tire rotation, under panel repair, and alignment check. Despite previous suggestions, I may go in early just to make sure all is well. By then I'll have had the car over 4 months--long enough to have it evaluated.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Toyota's scheduled maintenance document for the Prius says six months or 5,000 miles. Would Toyota deny a warranty repair claim if you didn't do it every six months?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
They might. I had a friend with a 1980s Ponticac who did all his oil changes. When a GM-documented engine design defect in the camshaft manifested itself in a blown engine, they demanded he show every dated receipt for every quart of oil he changed before they would cover it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone care to post the.....
- Wrench size needed for the Drain plug.....
- Part No. for the filter and crush washer.....

Thanks....
Brad

·
Registered
86 Posts
GlacierBobby is right.....

Here is 10,000 miles and because of the climate, most Toyota dealers use Semi Synthetic 10w40 (Shell Helix)

Fully synthetic in our climate is a waste of money in a Prius as it only goes up to 4000 revs!

S

·
Registered
117 Posts
bshef said:
Anyone care to post the.....
- Wrench size needed for the Drain plug.....
- Part No. for the filter and crush washer.....

Thanks....
Brad
14mm for the plug, don't know about the part numbers.

·
Registered
928 Posts
hyperion said:
SiJ2000, where did you find the info about the 4,000 revs?
Maybe he bought a used 1999/2000 model imported from Japan :)

2001-2003 model revs to 4500.
2004-2005+ model revs to 5000.

·
Registered
110 Posts
here of course is the true answer (well at least in my opinion)
use mobil 1(after car is thoroughly broken in). change every 5000miles and fugetta bout it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder how many miles a 05 prius engine is really broken in? I heard 5,000 is probably good enough. Others have said wait till 10,000 before going to sythetic. :?:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts