Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To recap: The city of Los Angeles has a pilot program in place through June 30, 2006, that allows Prius owners to park free at L.A. City meters. ALL OTHER RESTRICTIONS APPLY, such as two-hour limits, no parking during certain hours for street cleaning, etc.

The L.A. Dept. of Transportation website specifies that eligible cars must have a DMV "clean air vehicle" sticker, issued by the California DMV. However, hybrids such as the Prius don't qualify for such stickers. So Prius owners are stuck in a Catch-22 of qualifying for the free parking program but NOT qualifying for the sticker.

I brought this matter to the attention of the LADOT and they wrote back: "Hybrid vehicles are not required to display the Clean Air Vehicles decal from DMV."

I replied, asking, "Does this mean that I can just park my Prius with no sticker, no decal of any sort, and not have to put money in the meter, and I won't get a ticket?"

LADOT wrote back: "Yes, that is correct. LADOT Traffic Officers have been trained not to site [SIC] Hybrid Vehicles parked at metered parking spaces in the City of Los Angeles, as long as you adhere to all the other parking restrictions at that location."

So...there you have it.

Naturally, I can't take responsibility if you get a ticket from a parking enforcement person who wasn't properly trained or who doesn't recognize that the Prius is a hybrid. I'm not an attorney, nor do I work for or speak for the LADOT. I'm just passing on what the LADOT wrote to me. You can bet that I've printed out the email and will be carrying it in the glove box!

Jan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe you could post the emails so we can ALL (LA residents that is) print out a copy for "them" to read. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
free meter parking in LA

Just a word of caution regarding LA's free parking on meters, and that is that the meters at LAX are not included, according to info previously printed in the LA Times. No reason was given. Also, the meters tend to look the same whether you are in LA or an adjacent incorporated city, such as West Hollywood. Look closely when in doubt, as they are identified by a label on each meter and usually by parking restriction signs. The "meter maids" should recognize Toyota hybrids, as they have a number of them in their fleet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those tips!

BTW, Prius owners CAN now apply for Clean Air Vehicle stickers, as of 8-10-05, which might take some of the worry out of the free parking (as well as give us access to the HOV lane).

Jan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts