Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now-here's a weird and scary one.
I shut off my car, locked the car across the street from my house, took the smart key, and came back 3 hours later.

THE MOTOR WAS RUNNING. I'm pretty sure I locked the car, but wouldn't know 3 hours later, since the Smart Key just opened it. When I got in, the engine was running. Luckily the battery had only gone down to about 30%, but I was NUTS!!!!

What could have happened???

Thanks. :?:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My guess is that you thought you shut the car off, but didn't. Got out of the car and pushed the lock button on the handle assumming it would lock...but it didn't. If there's street noise you won't hear the relatively quiet beeps.

It's no sweat about the battery, it would stay charged as long as you had gas, and you'd have gas for a darn long time if the car isn't going anywhere (wonder if anyone's checked to see just how long it would run sitting still???!!!).

And yea, I'd be weirded out and kind sick too if my car sat in Ready for that long on the street.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think all Prius owners are or will be guilty of this at some point. It's just so easy to not notice!

The best way to tell is if the smartkey beeps twice as you open the door. If you remember little things like that. I tend not to.

Well, worst case scenario the car was unlocked and running and someone could have taken it... but as soon as they turned the car off there it would sit. Although the chances someone walking down the street would even notice the car was on, much less figure out how to shift into drive, are quite low IMO.

Scenario at hand: you probably wasted about .1 gallons of gas. Damn it, and you could have gotten 4-5 miles out of that! (MPG junkie speaking :lol:)

I bet you'll be doubly sure from now on, right? :lol:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
efusco said:
(wonder if anyone's checked to see just how long it would run sitting still???!!!).
hmmmm... 0 mpg

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
you mean wheel clamps

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I've heard it called a boot.

"Your car was booted. Have you been paying your parking tickets?"
In the States, this is a boot (short for "Denver boot"). I've also heard clamp, I think mostly on the East Coast?

In any case, it's obviously not a boot in Canada or UK, as the boot is where one stores the spare tyre. Thus, clamp.

Or, living room furniture:
http://www.westword.com/Issues/2005-05- ... imits.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts