Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wife finally found the second original key for our 2004 Prius. It had been lost for about 2-3 years.

Needless to say, the battery was dead (it had still been on it's original when lost.) I replaced the battery, and it works to start the car when inserted into the dash, but none of the remote functions work, either standard (push the buttons) or Smart.

I had bought a replacement off FleaBay last year, and tried the "Chicken Dance" to get it to work, but in the end had to have a dealer program it. That key only works inserted as well. When they did the programming for that key, might they have accidentally de-paired the remote functionality of the then-lost original key, too?

I have tried the Chicken Dance again with my just-found original key, which failed just like the FleaBay key. (Two lock/unlock clicks to indicate failure rather than one for success.)

Anyone know of a way to re-pair an original key that works on a 2004? Or will I have to go to the dealer again, and pay a arm and a leg.?.?.?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
First of all, the fob is not programmed. The car is programmed to accept the fob. Due to the rolling codes used between the car and the fob, a used fob cannot be accepted by the car after it has been used xx times (forget the number). If the dealer deactivated the lost fob when you asked them to try to program the car for the used eBay fob, then you are a little SOL as far as getting the 'found' fob to work as an SKS fob. However, the dealer can get a reseeding number from Toyota to reset the car and can then program it to accept all of your fobs (new or used). I don't know what the cost is to do this, but it can be done.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To update, the dealer did do it for free when I came in for another service. They got my just-found original key working perfectly, and even tried again on the eBay key. Still no luck on the eBay key, though. It works physically inserted into the dash, but no wireless functionality. They even replaced the batteries in all three remotes.

*AND* the service was cheaper than quoted! (Headlight replacement, I suppose 7 years is a good run for a headlight. Quoted $294 ($199 parts, $95 labor,) but only charged $244 ($149 parts, $95 labor.) Since they used a Toyota OEM, and the best I've seen for non-OEM headlights is $140, that's pretty darned good. (Heck, even if they DID use a third-party bulb, that's still not a bad price coming from a dealer.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts