Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an unusual incident tonight. It got dark and I totally forgot to turn my headlights on. The roads were bright and I didn't have the normal driving clue of "can't see the dashboard display". In fact, the Prius digital display is brighter with the headlights off than when the headlights are on. You cannot dim the display unless your headlights are on!

Is this a safety hazard? Has anyone else experienced this?

Dave

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
No. But I did accidentally leave it in parking lights mode (first click) thinking the headlights were on cause the dashlights were dimmed (Camry, Prius) and the IP lights on (on Camry). My dad likes to run with the parking lights on so when I take the car the next time, I don't check the stalk and that left me with running the parking lights. I only found out when my DRLs shone on the wall and realised that the light looked dimmer than normal.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Actually, the awfully bright dash and MFD should be a clue.

Gee, why are the dash lights blinding me? Oh yeah, it's dark out and I don't have the headlights on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forgetting to turn on lights

Hi Dave,
I can join you on this one - I have had several occasions of not turning on my lights because I've unconsciously assumed that they are on. Actually, the first time that this happened was after I purchased my Prius and drove it home one dark evening and was stoped by the cops because my lights weren't on! :p

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I believe that is one of the reasons CA has had, for many years, a law that forbids driving with only parking lights on.

Parking lights on=s dash lights on=s forgetting to turn on headlights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts