Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PKG#5 SuperWhite 2005 (no waiting list, no overlist cost) for my 16 year old daughter.
I have read through the DRL debate (dealer in SE say not avail) and she now just leaves headlights on all the time (they turn off when you get out). But I asked the dealer about installing fog lights and he said...NOT an option to add after. Only pkg#6 has them.
He said I can shop the aftermarket group, but I figured this forum has a lot of knowledge so I can try here first.

Thanks,
Jerry
2005 Pkg 5 Super White
Florida 8)
PS. Car now has 1000 miles(48mpg) on it and it is great, My wife and I keep borrowing it from our daughter and use it as the family car.
My Benz and her Tbird get a lot less use as does our Chrysler Town and Country...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
JerryF said:
I recently purchased a PKG#5 SuperWhite 2005 (no waiting list, no overlist cost) for my 16 year old daughter.
You interested in adopting?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The only components that use the HV battery are the AC compressor (2G that is), MG1, MG2 and the DC/DC converter that subs for an alternator. All the rest runs off of 12V.

HID boosts 12V to thousands of volts for the bulb using its own circuitry. Not much current is needed there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did I read somewhere here about getting fog lights from Walmart for like $30? I think the smaller the better. And you can get real amber colored ones (except where the amber ones aren't legal).

·
Registered
457 Posts
I asked the dealer about installing fog lights and he said...NOT an option to add after. Only pkg#6 has them.
I have the factory "fog lights" as part of the #6 package (#9 in 04). As lights go,.,.they are USELESS! They throw about as much light as a hand held flashlight. But I suppose they add some degree of cometic appeal.
In any case; they are wired to the LOW beams only and will not function Alone as DTRL. Because they pull more juice than the HID lights, I just leave em off.
Maybe there are some after-market lights that would actually work in fog BUT.. IF..safety is all you have in mind.. please don't waste your time trying to get the factory lights installed. (IMHO) ~JD~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts