Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can someone confirm that the only fluids to check are:

Engine Oil (obviously!)
Hybrid System Fluid (bottle of ATF between engine and hybrid invertor)
Brake Fluid....

What I am basically asking is this:

Is there any transmission fluid, or is this the ATF fluid in the HSD bottle mentioned above?

Thanks

S

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Coolant level on both engine cooling system and inverter cooling system. The PSD (Power Split Device) IS your transmission. Remember, it uses a special ATF that I think the later Toyota's are all now using.

ATF is hard to check, much like a manual transmission you need to remove the fill plug on the side. If you are looking at a bottle, you may be looking at the inverter coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that...

Don;t worry, I wan't going to put ATF in it, was just checking that there isn't a seperate transmission fluid!

Thanks

Simon

ps, getting my new 2005 Prius on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in London, by the way!

·
Registered
928 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
Thanks for that...

Don;t worry, I wan't going to put ATF in it, was just checking that there isn't a seperate transmission fluid!

Thanks

Simon

ps, getting my new 2005 Prius on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in London, by the way!
Just in case you misread Dan's post above, yes there is a separate reservoire of transmission fluid in the bottom of the transmission. It is not the bottle of pink coolant you described in your post.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, Thanks, didn't realise that was the coolant.....

What is the process for checking the ATF?

If this isn't really necessary on a regular basis, I won't do it!

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Between the owners manual, and the maintenance guid you shouldn't have any trouble knowing when to check things. If you're getting the nav system, you can even program reminders into the calendar...

(Has anyone actually done this?)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
OK, Thanks, didn't realise that was the coolant.....

What is the process for checking the ATF?

If this isn't really necessary on a regular basis, I won't do it!

Thanks

Simon
Again, in case you missed my post, there is a fill plug on the side of the PSD, and a drain plug on the bottom, much like a manual transmission. There is no dipstick or reservoir like there is on a conventional AT.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Speaking of washer fluid, is there a difference between their blue and pink washer fluids? Or is it just the colour?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just color and brand. But there ARE differences unrelated to color: some contain methanol or other anti-freeze, but some are just cleaners that can freeze in cold temps, shattering your tank. Read the label to make sure you get the right stuff for your climate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dan, I guess that I don't really need to check the ATF as there isn't a dipstick!

<y smart car gear oil can't ever be checked, it's a totally sealed unit! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts