Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my new super white option package #9 at a dealership 300 miles from my home. Dealer made me vow to not publicize them as I bought it at MSRP. They needed to close out inventory by the end of the month so lucked out into it. The car didn't come with floor mats. I have the gray interior and would like a set of the colored carpeted floor mats. Did anyone change out their mats and want to get rid of the ones that came with the car? Or does someone know who sells them at a good price?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What kind of screwy dealer DOESN'T want you to publicize them?! That salesman needs to work on his business practices. I run a business, and I would *NEVER* turn down a referral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't want people to know they sold me a Prius at MSRP. They don't have a waiting list and they usualy sell them for $3-4K over MSRP. This was just bad timing on their part as it fell at the end of the month.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hergertr,
my dad just bought (8/7) a new prius w/gray interior and he would probably sell you his floormats and/or the cargo mat, as I know he took them out of his car (to save weight!). He could ship them to you (he is located in FL). If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and I will forward it on to him to contact you back directly...

rob

·
Registered
884 Posts
Got to love Costco -- They have heavy duty floor mats in matching/contrasting colors, reasonably priced. I got the Prius floor mats from the dealer, but put the Costco mats over them. With almost 40,000 miles, the Prius mats are new; and most people don't even notice the Costco mats are not OEM.

Plus, you can always pick-up that 100 rolls of toilet paper and 10 gallons of chicken noodle soup you need to restock your hurricane emergency supplies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's an idea that worked well for me. I went to Lowe's (Building Supplies) and got some of that clear plastic floor covering - the stuff that realtors use to protect carpet when they show houses). I got 12 linear feet off a huge roll @ $0.59 per foot. That was enought to do the front mats, the rear cargo space and have enough to put over the rear floor mats as well. If you want to cover the rear mats completely, a couple of extra feet would do nicely. The stuff has the little anti-skid thingies on the underside, but I taped the front mats anyway to keep the plastic sheeting from sliding.

Basically, I used the original floor mats as the template and cut the plastic with a pair of regular scissors to just slightly larger than the mats. I used regular old duct tape around the edges to hold everything in place. So far so good and for under $7.00, the Prius name and logo are completely visible and are protected from the nasty icky stuff that lurks out there waiting to mess up your pristine Toyota (expensive) floor mats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Doesn't it look tacky? Reminds me of riding in a car, the owner had asked the dealer to keep all of the plastic covers on the seats intact.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Duct tape borders show though... kinda trailer-park in my mind. Though i will consider getting something similar for the back hatch area. I have to haul bags of mulch soon and need something to make cleanup easier back there.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
At the risk of forever being know as "Martha", in the hatch I keep an old blanket to protect it when I throw my bike in, or put water softener salt bags, etc in there. The blanket can go in the wash when it needs it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hep said:
At the risk of forever being know as "Martha", in the hatch I keep an old blanket to protect it when I throw my bike in, or put water softener salt bags, etc in there. The blanket can go in the wash when it needs it.
well here's another MN (eden prairie) Martha with a blanket. (Plus in MN a blanket in the car could be a lifesaver!) I also put clear floormats (WalMart) over the carpets until my dad mailed me the Prius mats, then ended up leaving them on top of those. (he had them out to save weight!)

by the way, there is now clear duct tape at Home Depot...

rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mats

I'm worried about my floor mats AND my interior.

Immediately after taking possession of my Prius I went down to the drug store and purchased 2 cans of "Scotchgard" spray. There is a new type with zero odor (I've used the other type before and the smell goes away when it drys) and sprayed the every inch of the interior, i.e. floor mats, seats, carpets and arm rests.

I'm now ready for coffee spillage.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
There's not enough Scothguard in the world to protect my poor car from my coffee! :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tacky floor mats.

Believe me, after spending nearly $27,000 for a car, I wasn't about to make it look tacky or give it "trailer park" appearance. By cutting the clear plastic covering about 1-1/2 inch larger than the actual floor mats (on each side), I was able to attach the duct tape to the part of the clear plastic that is folded under the mat. Duh! If clear duct tape is now available, however, that would certainly simplify the process.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't quite follow the logic of covering your floormats with plastic, can someone please explain?

Ok, so you get floormats because to protect the carpet, the carpet is stuck in the car and is more difficult to clean and more expensive to replace. The floormats you can wash, clean, and replace. I mean this is the whole purpose of the flormats in the first place

The blanket in the trunk is a very good idea, btw.

For liquid spillage, don't you think the uncovered fllormats are actually better? because they will soak up the liquid. Plastic cover will let coffee run off onto the carpet.

Instead of covering the mats with tacky plastic and duct tapes, why don't you get the heavy duty clear plastic carpet saver and cut them to fit? or the kind we use in the office under the chairs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Up here in the Northwest, we get lots of rain which can quickly become mud and a lot of other crud that gets picked up on one's shoes. You're right that floor mats are there to protect the carpet. However, the Prius floor mats are rather nice but expensive - they also came in the "package" that was not optional. So, as long as I've got them, I figure I'd like to look at them but keep them looking good at the same time. The duct tape doesn't show and the plastic is see through. I guess I'm just cheap at heart, but if $7.00 would keep those $100 floor mats in like-new condition it seemed like a good idea at the time. Here's what the finished product looks like - you be the judge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts