Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a set of the clear plastic Exactomats for my 2005 Prius. Unfortunately, the carpet floor mats have alread gotten a bit scuffed up. Anybody have a great cleaning technique for the mats?

Thanks!!

marlowe

·
Registered
261 Posts
yes, I lay 'em out on the lawn and first spray any dark (like grease) spots with WD40, let 'em sit a minute, then hose 'em down and scrub 'em with soapy (I use dish soap, which I'm told is too strong to use on the car itself) water, using a nylon-bristle cleaning brush. Hose the soap off and voila.

rpm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Floor mats

For cleaning carpet floor mats, we hit the greasy spots with "Spray & Wash", and place the mats in the washing machine on gentle cycle with hot water and a little detergent. Then lay them out to dry overnight before placing them back in the car. Look like new, every time! You need a big washing machine to do this - they won't fit well in a small machine. And you will typically need to fold them to fit in a large machine. Try to balance the load so the spin cycle doesn't shake the washer.

We have beige mats, which show dirt easily.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Oxy Clean is another good bet. Let it set for 15 mnutes and then use regular carpet cleaner.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oxy Clean is another good bet. Let it set for 15 mnutes and then use regular carpet cleaner.
What......one product isn't enough?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I don't like to leave the Oxyclean in the carpet. You could probably just hose it well and dry after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts