Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a little bit of ingenuity, could one alter a Prius so that it would float and operate both on water and on land? Think of the market and flexibility of this type of Prius and, when operating in electric mode, non-pollution of air and waterways. What do you think? :roll:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Throught automotive history, several amphibous cars have been offered. None have sold in significant numbers. There is even one offered in Europe now that is pretty pricey and not bad looking. There is even an American entropeanur that offers a amphibeous RV! With BIG ole' pontoons on the side for stability in the water.

But how many people need one, or even want one. I can't recall the last time I was driving along and said "hmm, I really want to be over there, but this damn body of water is in the way"

Spike

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Amphibicars were produced at one time around the early fifties and sold for around VW prices. (not that expensive) I believe there might be as many as fifty still registered in the U.S. and the last one I saw advertised went for well over a hundred thousand.
About five years ago there was a news story (that made the national media) about a Boston commuter who owned one and used the Charles river every day in his commute to avoid the traffic tie-ups on Storrow drive.
I'll bet you have sat in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic lots of time with a large body of water in view, and thought "what if."

·
Registered
40 Posts
floating around . . .

In the early 1970s, VW advertised that the Beetle would float. The ad had a footnote, "It definitely floats, but it does not float indefinitely!"

·
Registered
457 Posts
"But how many people need one, or even want one. I can't recall the last time I was driving along and said "hmm, I really want to be over there, but this damn body of water is in the way"
My reaction exactly. I frequently ride with the Pacific Ocean off one side and I can't remember wishing I could drive into it.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I should have remembered to exclude California, but on second thought the San Francisco bay area pops up and the bay shore freeway from SF to San Jose. And there must be stretches of highway that at times becomes stop and go along stretches of the inter-coastal in the south and I've sat for hours on #95 along the Ct. shoreline from Bridgeport to Wall St. Get rid of the Humboldt current and you might even enjoy the Pacific.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Maybe we can drive to Hawaii!"
I'd far rather settle back, sip a Jim Beam on the rocks and let Capt. Hyperion do the driving. Wake me in time to get my shoes tied.
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going.......... 8) ~JD~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts