Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much gas is in the tank when the flashing pip begins, with my average tankful about 9.5 gallons, going 500 miles, 53 mpg average? It starts flashing at about 475-480 and I decide not to go much further before filling up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The longest I've let it go (my last tank) was 83 miles. During those 83 miles, I averaged 57 mpg.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Correct answer:
"Less than you thought."

Why wait for it to blink? Do you like to walk? ;-)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
About a gallon to a gallon and a half. Some claim they got 2 gallons out of it.
I ran out of gas at 87 miles, and MPG showed 52 MPG. However, Ray says he got 120 miles I think, and his MPG is in the low 60's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Based on all the posts regarding that blinking pip I think we can safely say there is at least one but more likely two gallons when that light starts blinking. I have about a 20 mile commute and am averaging 53MPG. If the light starts blinking on the way to work I fill up when I get home that night. It's really not unbelievable, you just have to find your comfort level and stay consistent. Hyp gets jittery with half a tank left. I found that unbelievable until I heard he lives 250 miles from the nearest gas station. :)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
And you might find some of the posters giving you advice, have run out of gas. My point has always been, I'll bet you have never come even close to an empty tank until you purchased your Prius.
I do not want my new car to get an unwarranted reputation.
"Blinking Pips".................Gad!
And I pass by no less than a dozen stations a day, all selling at the same price!
Maybe it "hurts" to buy gas, but no more tomorrow than it does today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never run out of gas on any of my vehicles and I consistently drive until the fuel light comes on. Like I said, we all have to find our comfort levels.

·
Registered
370 Posts
hyperion said:
And you might find some of the posters giving you advice, have run out of gas. My point has always been, I'll bet you have never come even close to an empty tank until you purchased your Prius.
And I pass by no less than a dozen stations a day, all selling at the same price!
My justification for driving past the last "pip" is that I need to find a Costco. Some Costcos here sell gas, and their prices are between 15 and 30 cents cheaper than "Big Oil". With a 10 gallon fillup, I can save 2 bucks - Hey, that's lunch (as long as it's a Costco hot dog).

And don't expect me to feel sorry for anyone who's paying $2.30/Gal.

http://www.orangecountygasprices.co...e&station=Chevron&station=Costco&tme_limit=24

DGStan
[/url]

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yea, unfortunatly it all balances out :-( we're all equally in debt to the oil barons

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hyperion said:

Thank you all for the feedback/opinions. I got a chuckle out of the above one...it's true. I am kind of obsessed with getting the best mileage and trying to top a 506 mi. tankful (without overfilling). Guess it's better than leadfooting (I used to have a '68 Pontiac Firebird 400 and dragraced it; I am nearly as enamored with this car as that one for the totally opposite reasons).

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you switch your goal to the best average mileage per tank, you may be encouraged to fill more often! I, once, strongly resisted the urge to fill up when I was only down a pip because I'd been driving downhill since filling the tank and I wanted a 92 mpg tank.... it's all in how you look at things!

·
Registered
425 Posts
dgstan said:
And don't expect me to feel sorry for anyone who's paying $2.30/Gal.

If it makes you feel any better, here in Germany today, fuel gas has gone past the EUR 1.30/ltr (US$ 6.13/US Gallon) for the first time ever.

:cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts