Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felt like I was in the Sienfeld episode with Kramer and the car salesman :D

I was averaging 62 MPG or so I thought,the excitement was on,there I was 40 miles with the flashing E icon then 50,60,70 and then it happened at 625.5 miles A failure message and a huge red triangle all the lights in the dash came on.I was shaking...what a rush will I make it a mile on just battery power? Well, I did...just barely! No! I wouldnt recomend any of you do this,because its bad for the fuel pump.But dont trust that MPG computer!!! I must admit,I was on my way to the gas station but I was surprised to run out of gas.The computer hasnt been off this much,its been off by 1 or 2 mpg tops.But at 62.1mpg I shouls have been able to go 740miles.But at least now I know what to roughly expect with the flashing E about 75 miles.

The fun didnt end there.When I went to fill the car it wouldnt take more than 7 gallons then 8,9,10,11 gallons then at 12.13 I noticed the gas gurgling out of the car going onto the ground.I thought what the heck is going on here.I didnt loose much,but the pump wouldnt cut off! I certainly am learning what to do and not to do.But now I have a pretty good idea of what to expect,and yes it is hard to tell at any one time how much gas is in the tank or how full it is.Anyone else have a speuwing volcano of gas?
regards,Ed

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Not to pick on a newbie, but I hope you learned your lesson.

The car blinks a light, and TELLS you to buy gas, and yet you blame the CAR for your running out of gas?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Don't assume you know how much gas is left in the tank based on distance traveled. The car's guesstimate is better than yours.

Don't try to top off the tank. One stupid overflow creates more hydrocarbon emissions than, oh, a year's worth of driving.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, 7 gallons is a big difference to 11. 12 gallons was pushing it I agree, though I can't point fingers. :oops:

What we have here, is a bladder control problem, not an MFD problem.
Sure, the MFD migh be a bit overoptimistic, but its really the gas guage that is tempramental. I didn't think the classic had so much of a problem as the earlier 04's though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a similar experience this morning (I didn't run out of gas though) I was driving and noticed the last bar of the gas gauge was flashing so I immedietly pulled off and went to a gas station and filled up but I the pump cut off at 9.5 gallons I squeezed an extra .133 gallons to land on a whole dollar ammount and ended on 9.633 gallons. So my questions is...
Is the gas gauge that far off or is there something wrong with the tank that it won't take a full fill up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Even with the filler/gauge TSB applied, I always manage to sqeeze in well over 2 gallons once the pump cuts off by itself. If only .133 gallons fit, you either found a pump that was almost not going to stop at all but finally did just in the nick of time, or else there was more gas you could have added.

From absolutely full, I find that about 4 gallons worth of gas is used before the first bar goes out. Check your useage to the first bar: if it's less than 4 gallons worth, the difference is (probably) how much extra gas would have fit...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mikepaul said:
Even with the filler/gauge TSB applied, I always manage to sqeeze in well over 2 gallons once the pump cuts off by itself.
Why would a computer update make any change at all to the physical act of pumping gas?

edlambert said:
But at least now I know what to roughly expect with the flashing E about 75 miles.
Don't count on it. There are reports of people running out of gas after only FIVE miles on the blinking dot. The Prius' gas gauge is a fickle beast. Even if you assume that it starts blinking with two usable gallons left, trying to run it all the way down doesn't get you anything other than a possibly damaged car. Two gallons of gas only weighs about 12 pounds. Those 12 pounds aren't going to make a difference in gas mileage; so just fill up as soon as the dot blinks. (Heck, my wife yells at me if I let the tank get below the 1/4 mark. Good thing I drive the Prius often enough that I usually go from 1/4 to blinking dot without her ever being in the car.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
edlambert said:
But at least now I know what to roughly expect with the flashing E about 75 miles.
Short reply: Gas gauges tell you roughly how much fuel is left, not how many miles are left.

Long reply: Was there a change of elevation over those 75 miles? What speed were you driving? Did you stop and start a lot? What was the temperature? How heavily was the car loaded? Was there any wind? Since so many variables effect the Prius' mpg, you'll regret it if you try to assign a specific number of miles to a pip, any pip. The next time the gauge starts flashing, you MIGHT be able to drive 75 miles before the Prius runs out of gas. You might also be able to drive 100 miles - or 15. The gauge will not have misled you in any case.

·
Registered
319 Posts
ehurtley said:
mikepaul said:
Even with the filler/gauge TSB applied, I always manage to sqeeze in well over 2 gallons once the pump cuts off by itself.
Why would a computer update make any change at all to the physical act of pumping gas?
The full TSB for my VIN included a new filler tube that has no rubber gasket to form a tight seal around the hose nozzle. No pressure buildup to spew gas, but still a hassle where the filler clicks off constantly while trying to stuff gas in...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re:Out of gas....

Hello,Mark

To answer your question about the elevation,Its roughly 300 feet above sea level here at the highest and my commute is about 10 miles from home. I have a better idea as far as how the car's gas gage works.And I will not make this mistake again! But I was on the way to the gas station,I wasnt expecting it to run out,but I thought 600 miles on a tank would be normal since I've been averaging 55 mpg over the cars 2600 mile history.
The gurgling of the gas like a volcano was a total surprise! I never expected that.This car is difficult to fill,there is no doubt about it!

To the Polar bear poster,YES ! I love to drive the car! I loved your 12 step MPG program too.But I am not ready to admit I have a problem 8)
BTW,I did cut and paste that, and sent it to some of my friends,they got a big kick out of it.(They say I have a problem :D including my wife)

As far as some of the others out there.Please dont take me so seriously geech! I wasnt blamming the car for running out of gas and I didnt intentionally spill fuel on the ground either.But do note.. I had a heck of a time putting PAST 7 gallons in the car! And I know darn well I wasnt getting 90 miles per gallon.BTW I'm glad I filled it because some of the gas stations around here are ALL out of fuel.I guess people are panicing because of Rita.

To all the posters here,I like all the help and advise I see here! Dan is like the Big Brother that,s always there to lend a hand. :) Cudos to Dan

Thanks to all for making this a fun board to hang out at.

Regards,Ed

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
mikepaul said:
manage to sqeeze in well over 2 gallons once the pump cuts off by itself.
mikepaul said:
... but still a hassle where the filler clicks off constantly while trying to stuff gas in...
Do you think Toyota engineers are trying to tell you something ??? Hmmmmmmmmmmm??? :p

Henny Youngman 1935:
Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this".
Doctor: "Ok dont do that anymore"! :shock:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Henny Youngman

Polar bear, where have you been?

I thought you WERE Henny Youngman!

Oh yeah.....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mikepaul said:
ehurtley said:
mikepaul said:
The full TSB for my VIN included a new filler tube that has no rubber gasket to form a tight seal around the hose nozzle. No pressure buildup to spew gas, but still a hassle where the filler clicks off constantly while trying to stuff gas in...
Learn sumptin new every day. I thought it was literally just a computer update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gee Ed. I sure has hell hope you are not a smoker! That's all I need....another traffic jam on Route 111 on my daily commute to Sanford.

Within a week I'll be a Newbie. Tideland Pearl 2005.

If you drive a Silver Prius....I've seen you!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi ****....

It's a small world :D I'm in the Black 2005.But I've seen the guy in the Silver Prius.My commute is from Hill road to 111 then Old limerick road to Kennebunk. What are you driving right now? I used to drive a 2001 SAAB 9/5.Anywho you'll love the Prius!

Regards,Ed

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hate filling up Phoebe. She fights me every step of the way.
First of all, I never seem to get the nozzle seated so that it doesn't click off with every milliliter I pump. Then I can't get the danged nozzle out. She hangs onto that thing with a death grip. And her filler pipe just wiggles back and forth while I'm wrestling with her. As much as I love her, I dread feeding time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep same here....

I wanted to top it off tonight because four of us are going to the common ground fair up in Unity Maine.And what a job filling that car! I have to put the gas in one drop at a time! :oops: Dunno what I'm doing wrong but even when the tank is half full and I start to fill it.It cuts out right away! It just takes in gas really slow.
Ed

·
Registered
319 Posts
An04Prius said:
Do you think Toyota engineers are trying to tell you something ??? Hmmmmmmmmmmm??? :p
Mostly that they can't design a fuel tank that one can fill to the stated capacity.

The comeback might be "Stop more often for gas", but I refuse...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts