1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I have a question about oil change.
When(how many miles) and which brand?
Is Toyota dealer oil change worth it? or JiffyLube will be ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Every 5,000 miles or 6 months (check the separate maintenance log booklet that came with the owner's manual). If you are not into the DIY scene the Toyota deal isn't bad especially if you can convince them to rotate the tires which should done when the oil should be changed. Toyota does recommend waiting until the first 5,000 miles if you change to a synthetic.

·
Registered
154 Posts
kojiono32 said:
hi all,

Thanks
I got my Prius yeterday and the Toyota guys told me to bring the car after 3000 km for oil change. However, Toyota says that is not compulsory but they recommend it. When I bought the car I made a deal that this will be done for free :)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Cheap insurance. At about 4500 miles you will get "get service" light and have to go to manual to determine how to get rid of it as it is reminding you about the 5,000 mile change, Have this oil change done and at the same time have the tires rotated. Evidentually you will have abnormal tire wear if you fail to do this according to Toyota service managers.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
dontcheff said:
kojiono32 said:
hi all,

Thanks
I got my Prius yeterday and the Toyota guys told me to bring the car after 3000 km for oil change. However, Toyota says that is not compulsory but they recommend it. When I bought the car I made a deal that this will be done for free :)
3000KM? That's 1875 Miles. Sounds like a really short interval, especially for Europe, where many report 7500 miles or even 10K miles.

·
Registered
363 Posts
dontcheff said:
That is overkill. This is a precisely machine, lightly used engine. Stick with the manufacturers recommendation. 5000 Miles. (Either 7500 or 8000 Kilometers, I am not sure what they specify.)

Also when you do go in. Wherever you go in, check the dipstick before you accept the car. Lots of us have experienced overfilled oil. The oil should not be above the second notch. If it is, send it back and make them fix it.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Hey guys, the gentleman said they are giving him the 3,000 for free! Are you advocating that more frequent oil changes are harmfull??? Just get it done "right" It is stated that the ICE does not run all the time but I see no evidence of that in my car in New England in the winter and at turnpike speeds. I can't be positive as the MFD gives me no positive evidence when it is running but it is every time I look.

·
Registered
363 Posts
hyperion said:
Hey guys, the gentleman said they are giving him the 3,000 for free! Are you advocating that more frequent oil changes are harmfull???
Naw, I am just saying to save the free one for 5,000 when it is really needed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I guess I have to trust the Finnish Toyota dealers than the fabric oil has to be chaned after 3000 kms. Anyway, they said that this is not a must. But as they offer it for free?

·
Registered
363 Posts
dontcheff said:
Well, I guess I have to trust the Finnish Toyota dealers than the fabric oil has to be chaned after 3000 kms. Anyway, they said that this is not a must. But as they offer it for free?
Well, "free" is my favorite adjective. There are very few nouns that cannot be improved by adding it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts