Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
blittle said:
Divided the gallons into the miles and came up with a little over 52 ....... I am pleased :)
You are preaching to the choir! Makes $3/gallon almost fun!

"First Fillup"? Isn't that a book in the Bible? :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
Don't root for $3.00 a gallon just because you own a Prius and want an excuse. It's crashing the economy unless you are investing in the oil or war industries!
Being completely dependent on oil, and being unwilling to agressively shift to other energy sources soon, will crash the economy. $3/gal gas will make people drive less, buy and drive better cars, and begin to put a dent in the problem. High prices is not the cause of the problem, but it will in the long run be part of the results.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agreed. I've often said that if it was up to me I'd double the gas tax and in return have free public transportation within cities.

PA P

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hyperion said:
Don't root for $3.00 a gallon just because you own a Prius and want an excuse. It's crashing the economy unless you are investing in the oil or war industries!
I agree that owning the Prius shouldn't be a reason to hope for higher gas prices. It is kind of a mean attitude that doesn't take into account that many people will be hurt financially because they can't go out and buy a more fuel efficient car or can't afford the gas even with one. That being said, higher gas prices will eventually cause people to drive less, car companies to improve fuel economy, lead to advances in alternative energy, etc. All of which will have a positive impact on the impact of CO2 on the environment. Hopefully it can be both sufficient and a gradual shift rather than a huge disruptive change but I'm not convinced that expensive gas is really a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I do hope for higher gas prices. Not because I have a Prius, but I have a Prius for the same reasons. Higher energy prices seem to be the only way to change people's energy using behavior on the scale that is needed to avoid disaster. Yes, it will hurt poorer people more than the wealthy. That is also why we need better mass transit systems in every city.

Ah, don't get me going. But do keep in mind, the sky may indeed be falling. :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Let's not forget, higher gas prices also mean higher heating oil prices. That means that, unless you live somewhere where you don't need heat or hot water, you're paying more, in a way your Prius can't help. Also means some less fortunate than you are at risk of freezing to death this winter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only way people and manufacturers are going to move to cars like the Prius and better (fuel cell?) is to have pump prices jump drastically.

I am now getting 52 mpg for the first time. I discussed this with my hiking group and there is suddenly big interest in buying one. One person has already put in an order and another guy who drives an $80K Land Rover is considering it. It doesn't matter whether we wish for higher gas prices or not. They will be going up because the profits seen by the oil companies are just too good.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
One other thing to remember is that having a high-mileage car isn't a license to drive twice as much as you did before... If your Prius replaced a HUMMER, it might be acceptable. But you really should also keep driving to a minimum.

I bought a Prius because for my job, I HAVE to drive ~50 miles a day. I have no choice in the matter (if I want to continue in my line of work, anyway,) so I might as well make the least impact on the planet I can while doing it.

My wife, on the other hand, chooses to take the bus when feasable, and has even been investigating a moped or electric moped, for when her work keeps her close. (Where I travel all over town every day, she goes to one location for the whole day, where the location changes from week to week.) Usually drives the first day, then finds other routes for the rest of her stay at that location. Unfortunately, recently its been locations 10-15 miles away. There have even been a few days where she has driven farther than me! (Mostly because I've had slow days with only one appointment. Bah, tax season. People either procrastinating sending money out, or waiting for it to come in.)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jeannieb360 said:
Hep said:
That is also why we need better mass transit systems in every city.
quote]
What about people who are poor and live outside of cities?
You mean the ones driving their 15 mpg pickup trucks to work every day? They will trade them for an old used Honda that gets 30 mpg and will cut their cost in half. Behaviors need to change at every level of income.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Hep, you need to take a trip to the west coast to see that there is only one solution and that is cheap oil. Maybe you folks in Minn. can get by curtailing the amount you drive but no way will that work on the coast where if every one used mass transit there aren't enough tracks are cars. Without the automobile the state would close down.
Redwein should know there are not anywhere near enough of those old hondas, fords or chevy's to replace all those mercedes, Volvos, Saabs and heavy iron on the freeways of California where there are as many if not more Toyota four runners on the streets as Prius.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hyperion said:
Hep, you need to take a trip to the west coast to see that there is only one solution and that is cheap oil. Maybe you folks in Minn. can get by curtailing the amount you drive but no way will that work on the coast where if every one used mass transit there aren't enough tracks are cars. Without the automobile the state would close down.
Redwein should know there are not anywhere near enough of those old hondas, fords or chevy's to replace all those mercedes, Volvos, Saabs and heavy iron on the freeways of California where there are as many if not more Toyota four runners on the streets as Prius.
Sounds like yer makin Hep's point for him! ;)

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I visited LA in Feb. (son lives there) and it is just amazing how different the pace is from New England (except maybe Boston).While I enjoyed sunny weather everyday and my son and I were counting all the Prii (we gave up at about 140), the sheer amount of cars and the speeds were overwhelming. I was glad to be back to sanity where speeders on our 2 4 lane highways in the state do about 70 (I've been doing 62 lately).

I heard a report on NPR (National Public Radio) today that Hummers are selling double from a year ago in CA and this Hummer dealership was erecting a brand new showroom for all the new buyers who hardly care about $4.00/gal.

I'm ready for gas to go up...it's inevitable whether you want it to or not. Cheap oil is history--yeah, it may actually go back down to $2.95 next winter, but is headed up and up in the coming years. In 10-15 years, there will not be any oil left that can be reasonably gotten out of the earth.

People have got to wake up and conserve, by getting fuel efficient cars, carpooling, ridesharing, using publc transportation (except in LA where it's needed the most) and think about existing in a post oil world which will mean a LOCALIZED economy for all of us. This is the way it will be and we must be prepared to make the best of it. The sky might be falling but humans are adaptable, so let's hope we start NOW.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
You might as well hope for a Jackie Gleason and Lucille Ball come back, to save television. Cheap oil is just as gone as they are. Bury your head in the sand, or work on alternatives, but wishing don't make it so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.