Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new 2005 Prius today and drove the 81 miles home, 95% highway miles. There was a tail-wind. Computer indicated I averaged 57.3 miles per gallon. Air conditioning on varying speed between 55 and 60 mph. Can this obtained highway might be accurate??????? :?:

·
Registered
71 Posts
You're lucky! I've had my car for 2 months and never got higher than 50.
For the first few tanks, I didn't get over 40.

I'm averaging about 45, checking my tire pressure regularly, driving mostly stop and go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Nice!! 55-60mph is about right for max mileage. The tail-wind must've helped. Congrats!
Actually, I think the best mileage happens at around 35-40 mph. On level ground at 60 mph and driving carefully with no AC and just the driver, you can expect to get around 60 MPG. For each 5 mph increase in speed, subtract 5 MPG. For each 5 mph decrease in speed, expect an increase of about 5 MPG down to about 40 mph.

It has to do with increased wind resistance and rolling resistance, etc.

·
Registered
669 Posts
He's hooked, he's one of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He, he, heeeeeeeeee! :lol:

If the route was slightly downhill, it's very possible! I've never gotten a tank to average out like that, but it isn't totally crazy. Just be aware you may spend the next several months trying to duplicate the feat. I tend to average 46-47 MPG per tank, personally. But I rarely drive freeway slower than 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Goodness, don't tell the Bear, or he'll be sending him leaflets about rehab. :roll: On the other hand, I am making progress on the Bear's 12 step program...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Believe or NOT ! Read in Yahoo-Prius Group today that a Prius Wowner
drove the whole entire tank at 35 mph ang got an astonishing 800 Miles on that same tank. !
I'm wondering if he did that on the CA Freeway ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is very believable, especially if the trip was slightly downhill. You'll find the Prius is amazingly sensitive to changes in incline - roads I used to think were flat turn out not to be, and it's often the difference between getting 40 mpg and getting 60 mpg.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
Astrowoman said:
Goodness, don't tell the Bear, or he'll be sending him leaflets about rehab. :roll: On the other hand, I am making progress on the Bear's 12 step program...
Sadly, :cry: the Bear knows. :p dzitlow go here: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4687

It can help to get them early.

Sanny you are making excellent progress. You will know you are there when you can fill up, write down the mpg, put it away, & attend to the priorities in your life (making great puns, eating chocolate and living in NJ). 8)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I agree with Ray, seems the sweetspot is about 35MPH, and MPG does seem to decrease 5MPG per 5 or so MPH. People say they get decent mileage at 60MPH, I find it bottoms to about 50MPG, yet when I do my normal commute averaging 40-45MPH, with some sections at 55MPH, I can approach 58-60MPG. Lately though, the AC is dragging my mileage down when I leave from work.

Last two weekends, I did a significant high speed driving on the highway (not speeding mind you, gave that up several years ago), but I had my oil changed and tires rotated, so I know my tire pressures were dropped. Found out a few days ago it was 35 all around (OK Sun Toyota, you should know better). Mileage on HW seemed terrible, but may not have been any different. Last weekend, starting with very few miles on the tank, driving 70 on fairly flat HW with AC on, got 44MPG. Cabin wasn't overheated, as I was parked in my garage and just started my trek for the day.
Took all week to get MPG back to 54.7, one bar left, 556 miles on tank. Sometimes it seems my tank distance is greater than before, even though my tank MPG is lower lately.

Changed tire pressures to 40/38 and expecting pretty much a repeat performance from last week so we'll see if tire pressures do affect MPG at all, especially on the HW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
This is very believable, especially if the trip was slightly downhill. You'll find the Prius is amazingly sensitive to changes in incline - roads I used to think were flat turn out not to be, and it's often the difference between getting 40 mpg and getting 60 mpg.
I can vouch for this. I took a day trip, 100 miles each way, and on the way there I got 55mpg but on the way back my number was 43mpg. I had it on cruise control at 70mph going both directions. I found out later that my destination was about 300 feet above sea level lower than my origination point. Amazing waht a difference 3 feet of elevation per mile makes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
An04Prius said:
Sanny said:
Astrowoman said:
Sadly, :cry: the Bear knows. :p dzitlow go here: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4687

It can help to get them early.
Dunno, if he isn't ready to be reformed, not much you can do.

The leaflets... those are the little green things on the MFD, right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: congrats dzitlow

Mikeguenette said:
congrats and thank you for sharing this website with me.
This is from Mike Guenette, internet sales manager at Riverside Auto Mall at Marquette, Michigan, who displayed to an exceptional degree knowledge of product, enthusiasm for customers, and integrity that led me to buy a new Prius on the lot on June 16. He also has unsold a new Prius #1 Package in Tideland Pearl at MSRP (or less) of $22,351. It is refreshing not to be exposed to such schemes and deception such as "additional dealer markup", compulsory "vehicle protection packages", "preparation fees", and other tactics. If you want a great buying experience, contact this guy at 1-800-688-8570 or e-mail
[email protected].

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.