Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Window Tint from SnapTint

All the local tint shops were asking for $250-350 for lifetime warranty tint jobs in NorCal, so I took a leap and got the window tint from SnapTint.com.

I tinted my own car this weekend with my wife. Gotta say, despite all the warnings from people, it was pretty easy. Me and my wife worked through their instructions in about 2 hours and was done. Total cost: $95. I really recommend this product!

We really feel the difference now after the tint is installed. My wife drives an hour to work every day, so she says she cannot feel the sun on her face anymore, and the car is cool after a day in the parking lot.

SnapTint pre-cuts the window film to the size and shapes for the windows to my 2007 Prius. They have maybe 5 different film choices (black,grey,greenish,mirror,blue), and I chose SolarGard HP True Grey. Attached some pictures so you guys can see the process.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,166 Posts
So the back window tint goes on the outside?

I might go for this too. Gets too hot down here, especially during the summer. Fortunately my new job has a multilevel parking garage.
Bad news right now is that I don't have a permit yet to park anywhere but the vistors' spots, but I should get a permit any day now.
But the company is looking to move in the near future, and there probably won't be a covered parking garage in the new location.

This would certainly save me some gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Back Tint

Dan. The instructions have you first use the heat gun on the back window tint on the outside of the car to help it mold to the shape of the rear window. Then you flip it and apply it on the inside of the car, we just popped open the hatch and sat in the trunk to squeegee the water out.

Hmmm... would be interesting to see if window tint would save gas... too bad I have a new Prius so doing mileage calculations probably would not be accurate.


DanMan32 said:
So the back window tint goes on the outside?

I might go for this too. Gets too hot down here, especially during the summer. Fortunately my new job has a multilevel parking garage.
Bad news right now is that I don't have a permit yet to park anywhere but the vistors' spots, but I should get a permit any day now.
But the company is looking to move in the near future, and there probably won't be a covered parking garage in the new location.

This would certainly save me some gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,166 Posts
Well,if it keeps the cabin cooler, then you aren't wasting gas trying to cool it, especially where normally the cabin would get superheated parked in the sun. Even though the AC is electric, it does suck quite a bit of power out of the battery, especially when running at full speed trying to cool things down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
First accessories

I'm glad the do-it-yourself window tint seemed to work, but I personally would never attempt it.

For another $100, I got mine professionally done with a lifetime guarantee against bubbles. So, $200 all in, and I didn't have to worry about screwing it up.

The only other accessory I have that I highly recommend, is the upgraded steering wheel. It's pricey, but well worth the investment—since that's the part of the car I am in constant, direct contact with. It's a simulated burl wheel (with smooth, clear-coat) with leather that matches my seats. I hated the feel of the standard plastic wheel and am SO glad I went for the upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
priuscali07 - Just wondering how far you got to drive with (what looks like) 15% window tint on the front side windows before they made you peel it off? :?:

I had to get medical exemption letter from my doctor, and extra forms from DMV, just to get away with 40% on the front sides. California, as you probably know by now, doesn't allow ANY tinting film on the front side windows, or windshield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Sorry for the off topic post above.

:) My on topic post:

The first thing I did was to remove those fugly plastic 'trim' rings from my otherwise very nice looking wheels. I can't help but wonder - 'what the hell were they thinking?'

I could understand if they were only on some, perhaps a dealer option to stick you with, but from the factory I don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Window Tinting in Cali

:oops: You caught me. The front windows tint are illegal in Cali, but rear window tint is ok.

I have been driving around for the last 6 years in the Bay Area in my previous car with 20% tint with no problem. Even the local tint shops are recommending 35% on front windows.


Rambler said:
priuscali07 - Just wondering how far you got to drive with (what looks like) 15% window tint on the front side windows before they made you peel it off? :?:

I had to get medical exemption letter from my doctor, and extra forms from DMV, just to get away with 40% on the front sides. California, as you probably know by now, doesn't allow ANY tinting film on the front side windows, or windshield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
priuscali07 - Wow! (again) I had to travel as far as Santa Rosa (some 200 miles south) just to find a tint shop that would even tint my sides even though I had the proper exemption paperwork. And I got pulled over (twice) on my way home (once before I even got to the highway in SR) and had to show said paperwork, and argue with the officers about it.

I take back all the bad things I've said about the Bay area (execpt for the true ones LOL) :twisted:

I had looked at buying a precut kit, such as yours (less than $40 on eBay), but after careful consideration decided that I was no longer sufficiently dexterous (IF I ever was? LOL) enough to install it myself.

Yours looks very good, congrats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
This is my last post about window tint. Feels like thread has gone off course.

Prior to purchasing, I did some research for the online pre-cut tint dealers, and especially asked each one what type of window film they use and if they can send me samples.

Not going to mention names, but many of them refused to tell me what type of film they are sending me, or the film itself was the dyed variety that will go bad in a year or two, or told me they will send me a sample but never did.

SnapTint got the samples to me, and I verified it with a local tint shop that it is the lifetime performance film called SolarGard HP (high performance). I also compared the samples with the film from Walmart or Autozone, and the film from SnapTint is much thicker which is less likely to damage when installing.

Like you, I probably would not buy the stuff on ebay. They have to prove to me that they are using the same lifetime guarantee film professionals use.

Rambler said:
priuscali07 - Wow! (again) I had to travel as far as Santa Rosa (some 200 miles south) just to find a tint shop that would even tint my sides even though I had the proper exemption paperwork. And I got pulled over (twice) on my way home (once before I even got to the highway in SR) and had to show said paperwork, and argue with the officers about it.

I take back all the bad things I've said about the Bay area (execpt for the true ones LOL) :twisted:

I had looked at buying a precut kit, such as yours (less than $40 on eBay), but after careful consideration decided that I was no longer sufficiently dexterous (IF I ever was? LOL) enough to install it myself.

Yours looks very good, congrats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Again sorry for the sidetrack.

After the fugly plastic rings got tossed (Prius ring toss?), and the (very annoying) reverse and seatbelt beepers were silenced, I:

had the windows tinted (40% front 20% rear);
installed a Sigma inside the glass antenna for my Sirius receiver; ordered a leather interior kit (just arrived but as yet uninstalled);
rear bumper protector (installed today);
and Coastal's blue unlock, autolock, and EV kits (yet to be installed).

Still thinking about going up a size on the tires to correct the speedometer error.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Just installed Coastal's EV and autolock kits today with great ease!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I guess you have to be careful while installing window tint in the back window where the defroster lines go across that you don't mess them up
 
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Top