Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rolled over my first 100 miles. Avg MPG 36.5. Is that good, bad or par?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Devotay said:
Just rolled over my first 100 miles. Avg MPG 36.5. Is that good, bad or par?
Yes. :wink:

For a mix of driving including some shorter trips, this is pretty normal to start. As you do some longer drives, break in the car, and tweak your driving habits you will see those numbers bump up. Do check your tire pressure as that often will be low on delivery. If you can live with a bit bumpier ride, 42 front and 40 rear seems to be the consensus for best mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

And for a smoother ride at the cost of a couple mpg?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Devotay said:
Thanks.

And for a smoother ride at the cost of a couple mpg?
I found 38/36 to be smoother. Now I'm getting greedy on the gas so I tightened them up. If you search old posts, you will find long, long threads on tire pressure preference. It really is your own judgement withing the specs of the tires you are running on. I think I picked up about 2 MPG at this pressure.

Keep half of one eye on the MFD and you will learn how to drive to maximize the use of electric. The engine will always run for the first 5-10 minutes so you won't get great mileage if you make short hops, but still better than nearly any other car you meet on the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool.

s there a concensus preference for what tires to use? I think I remember someone saying they got a big improvement with new tires.

Oh, and my dealer wants me to buy the rustproofing, since we're in a state that salts the roads. Anyone have an opinion on that?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Devotay said:
Very cool.

s there a concensus preference for what tires to use? I think I remember someone saying they got a big improvement with new tires.

Oh, and my dealer wants me to buy the rustproofing, since we're in a state that salts the roads. Anyone have an opinion on that?
I live in the land of salted roads. Rust proofing is not needed. Everything I've read seems to indicate it hurts more than helps. On the tires, look back with the search funtion (which isn't great, so hang in there) and you will find many opinions on what people like. I've been pleased with the original tires over 20,000 and one Minnesota winter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Super Normal....

Of course, 36mpg is more than normal, it is just supernormal

You paid for 50 to 60 mpg and you getting what everybody is getting. Just 36mpg. I hope the breaking time comes soon, otherwise you will be hanged for ever in your sticker and/or propaganda.

Pulse and glide to get clouser to the promissed land.

Good luck....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Super Normal....

Rmarchena said:
You paid for 50 to 60 mpg and you getting what everybody is getting. Just 36mpg.
Well, I read this board a lot, so I was paying for 45 actually, but it sounds like I'll get there.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"You paid for 50 to 60 mpg and you getting what everybody is getting. Just 36mpg"

RM, sometimes you are just full of $hit. "Everybody" gets 36mpg? Gimme a break.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First 1800 Miles at ~49mpg

I picked up my new Prius on a Tuesday, (05 Salsa Red Pkg 6) and by Sunday we had 1780 miles. Mix of interstate at 65 and then highways at 45-55 MPH, depending on road construction, through the Cascade Range in Oregon and then through the Eastern Oregon land of nothing. Lots of up and down, a bit of steep climbing, descents..lots of fun. Even some gravel roads in Idaho (oh the poor little car). We averaged high 40's (48-49) for each tank, even driving at 75 mph on the Idaho roads after we hit 1000 miles on the odometer. We have the tire pressure at 42/40, and have been trying to drive smartly. Once we hit the Columbia river gorge in Oregon on the way back, we were bucking a head wind and the average dropped a bit, and we were blowing all over the road which was a bit disconcerting, but so was everyone else.

Totally comfortable, loved the NAV onced we used the override, and enjoyed the quiet ride! Great gas mileage..! It was great fun to drive 200 miles to the *Conservative* town of Roseburg, get gas and to have a full tank after 4 gallons.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
KTPhil said:
"You paid for 50 to 60 mpg and you getting what everybody is getting. Just 36mpg"

RM, sometimes you are just full of $hit. "Everybody" gets 36mpg? Gimme a break.
I think he was being facetious, but in absence of a 'smiley', I'm not sure.

I mean, my WORST tank of gas was 36.9 mpg, and that was doing 80-90 over the Rockies in bad weather! (Actually, it was about half 90 in moderate weather, followed by 30-40 in an almost-blizzard, now that I remember correctly.)

And this month is my best so far, at 50.29 for the month. This month, I have had 13 days of 50+ mpg (that I've driven at least 10 miles,) 6 days of those over 55, including my only 60+ mpg day (61.58 mpg over 28 miles,) in 400 days of ownership.

·
Registered
249 Posts
KTPhil

I think rules of this forum prohibits the use of some kind of wording that normaly is used when cursing or attacking personaly. Again and again one of the top ten attacks and what!! manner. Let's see what the moderator could do to that respect. We debate concepts, no people.

By the way, how many members have complained about their unsatisfied mpg?????? If you make the count among all post, that complaint wil be the NO. 1 - NO. ONE - NO. UNO. Statistics talk by itself, not me. I am full of true that some topten do not like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First 100 miles

36.5 mpg seems unusually low. We have a 2004 and 2005 and have never seen anything that low. You might check the tire pressure. I have averaged 51 mpg over 8500 miles, and my wife runs 48 mpg over 25k miles. My best tank was 57.3 mpg.

There are lots of techniques to getting good gas mileage, but there are three main tricks:
1) Listen to the engine. If it is reving up, you are turning the engine more per distance traveled, which automatically reduces gas mileage. Slower acceleration gives better results. Keep engine rpm's low.
2) Lots of Prius owners put more air in the tires than Toyota recommends. The car is fairly aerodynamic, so a reduction in rolling resistance can make a significant improvement in gas mileage. A common mistake is to set the tire pressure when the tires are hot from driving. 44 psi is the maximum cold inflation pressure of the stock tires. I initially used 44 psi in the front and 42 psi in the back. Now I use 47 in the front and 45 psi in the back (do this at your own risk!). Tire wear appears to be normal with less wear in the center than the edges despite the over spec pressure.
3) Driving technique can improve gas mileage by letting off the gas early before stopping, gently braking to recover more energy regeneratively, minimizing the use of airconditioning, finding the "coasting" point on the throttle when going down hill, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, A day later, and I have moved my avg up to 38 already. It seems as though I'll get to that target 45 or even higher soon enough. That mythical 60 that the EPA talks about (where are those "ideal conditions" anyway?) may be a little beyond my reach, but getting 3 times the mileage of my previous car is good enough for me for now.

This weekend is our first trip out or town, to Chicago & back. 482 miles roundtrip plus lots of inner city drivng. I'll report back in a separate thread on how that goes.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You're going to like the numbers you get on this trip. Keep the speed down as traffic allows and you will do even better. 55-65-75 will all give you sustantially different results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
here in Spain I had avg. 51 MPG (4,6 l/100km) on mi first 100 miles (168km). I did no check my tyre pressure... I'll do it... :oops:
Just a question, we had a 195/55R16 tyre here... is the pressure you point 42/40 psi valid for this tyre?
Nos vemos!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Devotay said:
V
I guess it depends on what is rustproofing and does it extend the warranty on rust thru?

I found on my pri that the rear fender wells (metal) were only 1/2 undercoated, the side near to the outside was just painted metal.. Also I took off the rear spoiler at each side and its all plain painted metal up there to.

I did a through undercoating job in these areas myself. Also Splash guards will help to keep down the amount of splash up behind the wheels in the area of the spoiler.
(I dont feel the spoiler itself will prevent all water, dirts and salt from getting up there, but it will probably prevent it from coming out).

·
Registered
457 Posts
This weekend is our first trip out or town, to Chicago & back. 482 miles roundtrip plus lots of inner city drivng.
I've found that Cruise Control on Freeway trips does a better job than my foot for MPG. If it's safe to do so, set the CC on your favorite speed and enjoy the ride. However sacriligious it may sound, there's more to driving than just mpg. Pumping the tires up over factory (33/35 psi) settings will probably increase a few mpg. I get 38-42 mpg around town but have seen a high of 57 on extended freeway runs @ 65 mph. ~JD~

1 - 20 of 35 Posts