Toyota Prius Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Re: fuel economy

An04Prius said:
Toyota web site says traditional mpg calculaton (miles driven /gals pumped) is inaccurate for Prius, due to effects of things many of you have already noted...bladder effect, temp on bladder effect, varying pump rates effect on bladder. They say to use the MFD reading.
That's just crazy talk. It's true enough for 1 fill-up, but all those effects will negate each other over time... After 23 tanks, I've installed a total of 5.28 gallons more fuel into my Prius than the MFD says I've used... If the MFD is so accurate, where did all that fuel go?

· Registered
2,097 Posts
Maybe somebody siphoned some off after one of your little thunderstorms this summer? :)

I agree that over that amount of time the numbers should match up closer. And you know the error will never be in your favor!

· Registered
3 Posts
re: Filling the Tank ...

Do not ignore the nozzle's automatic shutoff and the gas tank's bladder effect when filling the tank. The last time I ignored my own advise, I had fuel coming out of the fill tube when I removed the nozzle from the tube. From that day on, I stop filling my tank at the first auto shutoff.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Hep said:
Maybe somebody siphoned some off after one of your little thunderstorms this summer? :)
Hmmm... I do remember smelling the faint aroma of Jamacan Blue Mountan one morning as I left for work.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't think Hep is stealing our gas, Mel. I think he's got a far more insidious plan in play.

Every time I see his avatar, I get an uncontrollable urge to go brew a pot of coffee! :eek: Honestly, I have one going right now, mere moments after seeing his avatar. It smells absolutely wonderful, too... :)

EDIT - it's almost like shades of the Mel Gibson movie "Conspiracy Theory," where he had an uncontrollable urge to keep buying "Catcher in the Rye," without ever reading it!

Hmmmm, let's see if I actually drink that coffee that's brewing right now.... :shock:

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Coffee is it's own conspiracy.... How can anything that smells so good taste so foul :)

· Registered
2,097 Posts
melgish said:
Coffee is it's own conspiracy.... How can anything that smells so good taste so foul :)
I chuckle over my morning cup 'o Joe. Life is good. Proceed with the entertainment my friends. :lol:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.