Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most aggravating thing about my 2005 Prius is the difficulty in getting a consistent fill of the gas tank. I know that "topping off" is not recommended, but today the automatic pump shut of engaged after less than 3 gallons. I was able to put another 6 gallons in manually at just a trickle. It's impossible to acurately calculate mileage for each tankfull. My last two tankfulls were at almost 48 mpg, this one (same kind of driving) was just under 32 mpg, as a result of a good fill. I guess I'll be topping off every time from now on.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's one good reason for relying on the car's calculation!

I usually fill when I'm at 1 pip. I let the auto shut off happen, remove
the nozzle, then pump again until it shuts off. I get consistent amount of fill that way, 8-9 gal depending on how long I've driven since the 2nd-last pip dropped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the gas station's pump.

I've seen issues where certain pumps acted strange during a fillup. It doesn't matter what car you have. Try a different station.

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe so, but the only other car I've had that trouble with was a "64 Buick Special I had 40 years ago. The gas filler was behind the license plate down on the bumper, and it was always an ordeal getting the last 5 orr 6 gallons in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
by the way...!!!

How many gallons does the last bar represents?
Sometimes I filled up as soon I got the last bar and the tank holds 2 gallons (plus or minus)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"How many gallons does the last bar represents? "

It varies. Count on it at your peril.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Astrowoman said:
That's one good reason for relying on the car's calculation!

I usually fill when I'm at 1 pip. I let the auto shut off happen, remove
the nozzle, then pump again until it shuts off. I get consistent amount of fill that way, 8-9 gal depending on how long I've driven since the 2nd-last pip dropped.
"... remove the nozzle, then pump again until it shuts off."???

Aren't you wasting a LOT of gas that way? :wink:

Our fills have gotten better as the car has trained us how to fill it slowly, but naturally I had trouble with the auto-shutoff recently - just as the woman at the adjacent pump was asking me about the Prius! So I had to append "except for the funky gas tank" to my usual rave...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Accurate fills for each tank are not necessary for you to get a good idea of your gas mileage tank over tank over tank.

It all balances out in the end. And trying to get an accurate calculation for each and every tank is really a lot of trouble and effort for something that's not all that significant, mathematically speaking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You have MPG and miles on the consumption screen.
Gas used = miles/MPG
Pump that much gas and you refill the tank to the same level you started with.
Gas bought from the pump refills the tank to some point. That has little relation to Gas used.
If you calculate MPG = miles/Gas bought you are relying on the tank being full each time. If it is not full, your calculation is wrong.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If I used that rational and pumped only what the MFD says to pump, I'd be out of gas by now, even if I pumped .1 gallons more than MFD suggests. Why? because MFD is consistenly higher by 1-3% over averaged out manual calculations.
It has gotten closer this year than last year though.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
"Pump what the MFD says to pump?" Seems to me, I am missing something very important. Whatever happened to just pulling up to the pump, popping the fuel door and removing the cap, Filling the tank until the pump shuts off normally. (as the Prius was designed for to prevent vapor in the air) Then replacing nozzel in pump, replacing cap, closing door, paying for fuel and driving off with a full tank indicated on the guage. I throw in one more step and zero my odometer. (45 MPG, WOW)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
hyperion said:
"Pump what the MFD says to pump?" Seems to me, I am missing something very important. Whatever happened to just pulling up to the pump, popping the fuel door and removing the cap, Filling the tank until the pump shut off normally. (as the Prius was designed for to prevent vapor in the air) Then replacing nozzel in pump, replacing cap, closing door, paying for fuel and driving off with a full tank indicated on the guage. I throw in one more step and zero my odometer. (45 MPG, WOW)
Amen, brutha!

People, stop playing around at the gas pump! Get in, get it done, and get out! Reduce your time there, and you will:

1) reduce the mathematical odds of being there during an explosion
2) reduce the mathematical odds of being there during an traffic accident
3) reduce the mathematical odds of being there during a fuel spill (by you or by anybody else)
4) reduce the mathematical odds of being there during a stick-up, robbery, road-rage, or other crime

Gas stations, by their very nature, are risky places to be! So stop playing and goofing off! Get on with it, close up that hole in your car, and move your keester out of there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts