Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else really struggle with filling their gas tank when the pump is just insistant that your tank is full?

I know the tank holds something around 11 gallons, but the pumps always seem to shutoff around 9 gallons and I really have to fight with it to get more in.

It's a great workout for my forearm and all, but I'd rather have a full tank, ya know?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I always drive until the fuel bar begins to blink, and then I refill. At first, I would just hang the pump up when it shut itself off, but I was only getting around 370 miles per tank. The pump normally shuts off somewhere between 8.5 and 9 gallons. My last tank I fought it until I got 9.2 gallons in and I got 429 miles before it started blinking again.

What gives?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Toyota spent a lot of extra bucks designing the bladder system for American Prius tanks to eliminate that last bit of pollution problem in the atmosphere, the vapor always remaining in the top of all gas tanks. Now the people who have purchased the car are trying to beat that expensive system by a multitude of different systems of their own. Was not the reason for the bladder spelled out well enough in the owners manual?
It's an enviremental thing and not meant to be fooled with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hyperion said:
Toyota spent a lot of extra bucks designing the bladder system for American Prius tanks to eliminate that last bit of pollution problem in the atmosphere, the vapor always remaining in the top of all gas tanks. Now the people who have purchased the car are trying to beat that expensive system by a multitude of different systems of their own. Was not the reason for the bladder spelled out well enough in the owners manual?
It's an enviremental thing and not meant to be fooled with.
See, the only thing wrong with what you said is that I believe most of the general public, myself included, know nothing about the bladder, with the exception of the one used to urinate with. I didn't even know it existed until another Prius-owning friend of mine clued me in.

If Toyota wants people to know how to effectively use their machinery, then they need to spread the knowledge around. I was given no instruction on this by the dealer, nor is there a "bladder primer" on the Toyota website.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't fight it. I gas up at the most convenient spot (location, price and my time) after driving a bit when down to two squares. I quit when the pump kicks off and my average fill is 7 to 9 gal. Don't feel like spending the time nursing in more. Still, my conserative apprach yields me around 400 mi. or more per fill up. That's big improvement on any other car I have ever had. Only my pickup with double tanks has more legs. On the road I can getover 550 miles on the tanks. But, the fill ups are brutal.

Playing around and fighting the bladder is a waste of time for me.

Oh yeah. I had an Olds Cutlass once and had to fill the tank every 150 miles. A real pain on a cross country trip.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hyperion

Hyperion you did a master advice. I hope Priusilians follow...!!!

But I know why Priusilians want to blowup the tank/bladder. They want to aliviate the frustration of the unsatisfied mpg without caring about the car's stomach. After Priusilians sell to others and to themselves the Prius's Glory in terms of an mpg that do not exists in all the circunstances.
Why they do not care about Prius's bladder? I know...THIS THING, IT JUST ANOTHER SIDE EFFECT OF PRIUSILYTIS...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
evaunit6 I apologize. I thought it might have surely been mentioned in one of the eight scattered pages somewhere in the owners manual indexed under fuel about the bladder system and why you can't get the same amount of gas in the car in the winter when the bladder is not as pliable as in the summer. However, months before I purchased my car I had read countless articles about it and it's enviremental protection systems. One of course was the bladder and the fact that it's mainly in the U.S. version of the cars. Toyota apparentally isn't too concerned about the air quaility in Europe. And Toyota salesmen don't care enough about the car to learn anything about it. Not one has been purchased by any employee at my dealership. (and we're talking about four years of selling them)
Overtork has listed a couple of good sites.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts