Votes: 0 0.0%
  • slower

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a Prius without barely test driving it. Its coming in 1/14, so I don't have much time to decide. I test drove a Subaru Legacy in 35 degree weather and my feet were cold! The heater vent blows hot air to the shins/knees, not to the feet. How's the heater in the Prius? Cosy feet? Quick heating?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heater

I picked up my 2005 Prius in Jan. 05
The heater performs much like most cars. Heat on cold days comes up in about 2 - 4 miles from initial start. (35 -45 mph) Heats cabin good. I don't notice any cold or hot spots after at normal operating temp.

The Prius seems to default most of the time to the "Recirculate" mode. When on "Auto" the blower will blow cold air (on high) when cold. I have to manually set blower speed to low under those conditions.

I wish Toyota would put same system in as in my Avalon has. When in "Auto" mode the blower is NOT on until heat starts to come up. As heat get's hotter the blower will increment up. This makes for more comfortable ride while car is warming up.

Prius steering wheel mounted temp. setting controls are useful.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
larry, I'm not sure but my Prius performs similarly to our Camry's. It will not blow any air until the air is barely warm and only then does it blow to the feet. It rarely blows on anything higher than M, but then again, I don't have it cranked to MAX HEAT. I have it at 21°C or even 22°C max and it's sufficiently warm at the freezing mark.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well the coldest I have had the car this year was 36F this morning. Didn't blast air, though it came out of the garage reading 57F. There is an electric supplemental heater that will operate pending the coolant heater core reaching proper temp.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Oh yeah, the heater works fine.

And if it hasn't been stated before, the hot coolant storage system, which stores hot coolant at shutdown and then charges the engine with the hot coolant at startup does help to speed engine warm up and thus speeds the heat generating process for the engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What's annoying is: heat never (within any timeframe I'm willing to wait) auto-switches to "face" mode, like cool does. I have to manually go from "feet and face" to get more heat where I'll notice it. Cool air eventually blows right at you, with no button-pushing involved.

My current theory is some Toyota engineer gets a nosebleed from breathing heated air and wanted to save the rest of us, but maybe there's a better reason...

·
Registered
248 Posts
My feet are numb from back problems, but my hands get warm quick. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts