Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Prius with approximately 27000 miles. The car was experiencing a noise recently, seemingly coming from the engine compartment. The noise kept getting louder and more apparent the more miles we drove. I took the car to my dealer for a diagnosis. The tech determined the problem to be the left front wheel bearing assembly (bearing noise) and ordered a new part. When the part came in, I took the car to the dealer for installation. The new part was installed in about 2 hours but the noise was still there. The tech felt there was no change after the new parts were installed but asked me to drive the car for varification.

The dealer kept the car, gave me a rental and indicated they would do more testing and analysis. The tech called me later that day and said they had gotten a defective new part from the factory and would order another new part. I picked the car up a couple of days later and the noise was gone...the second new part fixed the problem.

I called Toyota corporate and asked if there were problems with the wheel bearing assemblies on the Prius. The person contacted checked with the technical service people and indicated that there had not been an abnormal number of replacements. She made a note of the problem associated with my VIN number and indicated the bearing assemblies are covered under the power-train warranty...6 years/60000 miles.

My concerns were two-fold: 1. The original bearing assembly going bad after only 27000 miles. 2. The dealer getting a new but faulty unit from stock. If the information I was provided is accurate, my experiences were coincidental.

Information for anyone else that may be experiencing a 'whirring' noise with a Prius.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ive started to get a scrapping noise when I turn left, and only left, like metal on metal.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Bearing is under powertrain? Woundn't have thought so. Are the tires covered under the powertrain warranty too? :wink:

·
Registered
582 Posts
wheel bearing failure

On my 2001 Prius, right rear wheel bearing was replaced at 44k miles, 24 months. No charge, so I presume that the 60k warranty was invoked. The replacement assembly has performed correctly for 34k miles since. Have read about several others (both front and rear) but not previously on the new model.

It has been speculated that wheel bearings could be damaged while tied down on the boat ride from Japan.

I also heard the thing while driving, and could feel the difference between the two rear wheels while turning them, jacked up.

Toyota repair shop #1 said "That's impossible. You cannot detect wheel bearing problems before complete failure". I went to shop #2 who said instead "You are correct. We are obtaining the replacement assembly for you". #2 was the correct answer.

DAS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bet it was actually a 'half-shaft' with CV (constant velocity) joints (IF the Prius has these! I don't know). This would be part of the drive train ...

These do make clicking/scraping noises while turning (could be left, right, or both, depending on which side is going bad).

I had 2 sets replaced (under warranty, then ext. warranty) in an '87 Civic. I think by the 2nd set they had re-engineered the thing so it would last more than 30K miles.

I drove it to ~250K with no further problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, after re-reading, I guess it actually IS the bearing assembly ... altho I agree it seems odd that they would cover it under the 'power train' warranty. I will have to check the warranty statements ...

If the noise is constant regardless of steering direction, then it probably is not the CV joint. While turning, hearing a clunk-clunk-clunk noise from one side seemed to point to the CV joint, in my case.

If the scraping sound is 'continuous' while turning, then maybe it is something else? Bearing, brake disk/pad/caliper issue ...?

Victor - please post again when you figure out the problem!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ah, Clunk, clunk.

I had a clunking sound with my '92 Sentra.

Took it to Mancini for repair:

Me: I need new CV joints
Mancini: <somewhat skeptical tone> What makes you think so?
Me: Well, it's like this: I had torn boots. Got the front end stuck in a mud puddle for 45 minutes, and ever since then it goes 'clunk, clunk' when making turns.
Mancini: yup, that's CV joints.

Now that I think of it, it may not have been Mancini I went to for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To clarify, the noise I was experiencing with my 2004 Prius was constant running down the road, most prominent above 40 mph. We did not hear the noise only when turning.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
the last time the wheel bearing issue came up on the Prius_Technical_Stuff yahoogroup, the common cause listed was from hitting too many curbs. since my 2001 has the scars on the tires/wheels from me hitting some curbs, I had to ask what to listen/feel for. Obvious is any alignment issues, such as steering vibration, odd tracking, and uneven tire wear. more minor incursions have a "swish swish swish" or "woo woo woo" sound, heard at speeds up into the 30s MPH, easier to hear with the windows open and when passing by a wall or shrubbery that'll reflect the sound of your car back to you.

since we had a few not freezing or not 90+F heat lately, I've had my windows open a bit more often. I am starting to hear a swishing sound from my 2001 when under about 30mph. I hope to meet someone at the MA hybrid gathering this Sat. who has had the same problem, to reaffirm my diagnosis. I am very pleased to hear that it is covered under the powertrain warranty, and that I won't have to argue for the extended warranty, or that I'd have to pay because it's something I might've done (my right rear tire/wheel gets beat up regularly)

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2012 prius has 38,000 miles on it, I am a careful driver and the front wheel bearing on the driver's side had to be replaced last week. It began with a scraping noise when I turned a sharp left at the gas station. Initially I was to be charged $700 but the toyota dealer later said they would not charge me. I have driven a cressida and a corolla to 300,000 miles and my '98 corolla I gave to my daughter is still plugging along. None of my cars have had anything like this happen so early on. I did not get an extended warranty so now I am worried about the other 3 wheel bearings...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two '02 Prii (plural for Prius) and one '06 Prius. I have had to replace one rear wheel bearing on each of the '02. It sounds like an airplane is approaching from behind at 35 mph or faster, with the volume increasing with the speed. It was louder in the backseat, and the sound faded or increased as we went around curves, depending on whether it was pushing the wheel toward the car or pulling it away. I even bought another Timken wheel hub thinking it likely that another one of the original hubs would fail. But no. One '02 Prius has 220K and the other 190K and no recurrence.

Now I am getting a somewhat similar sound from my '06 (@133K miles). It is coming from the front and it is most noticeable at about 40 mph. At faster speeds, the sound of concern is not louder. And it is somewhat drowned out at the higher speeds by tire and wind noise. So it is seems like the start of a bearing problem. But maybe it is something else associated with the front of the car. Any ideas??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota Prius Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement

Tools You'll Need
· 1/2 Torque Wrench
· 1/2" to 3/8" Converter & a 3/8" Short Extension
· 30mm 13 Point Socket & Punch or eBay & Amazon have Toyota 30mm Front Axle Lock Nut Remover Kit which works great
· 21mm Socket for lug nuts, or just use the Prius tire tool
· 17mm Socket for the Tie Rod, Stabilizer Bar, Ball Joint Assembly & Brake Caliper
· 14mm Socket for the Hub Bolts
· 12mm Socket for the Rotor
· 10mm Socket for the Speed Sensor
· Hammer & Wood Block ~ will come in handy for a couple of things
· Flat Head Screw Driver for removing the CV Dust Boot Cover
· Pliers, Channel Lock, or Vise Grip for turning the inverted Tie Rod Nut & some Wire or Rope for the Brake Caliper
Torque Specifications
· Axle Nut 216 Nm (159 ft-lb)
· Lug Nuts 103 Nm (76 ft-lb)
· Brake Caliper 109 Nm (81 ft-lb)
· Ball Joint Assembly 89 Nm (66 ft-lb)
· Wheel Hub 56 Nm (41 ft-lb)
· Tie Rod Castle Lock Nut 74 Nm (54 ft-lb)

Order of Disassembly
· Remove Tire
· Remove Axle Nut
· Remove Speed Sensor
· Remove Brake Caliper
· Remove Rotor
· Remove Tie Rod
· Remove Upper Stabilizer Bar
· Remove Ball Joint Assembly
· Remove Axle
· Remove CV Boot Dust Shield
· Remover Hub Assembly

Order of Reassembly
· Reinstall Hub Assembly & Dust Shield
· Reinstall Speed Sensor
· Reinstall CV Boot Dust Shield
· Reinstall Axle
· Reinstall Ball Joint Assembly
· Reinstall Tie Rod
· Reinstall Upper Stabilizer Bar
· Reinstall Axle Nut
· Reinstall Rotor
· Reinstall Brake Caliper
· Reinstall Tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0CkLOxegAoToyota Prius Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement

Tools You'll Need

· 1/2 Torque Wrench

· 30mm 13 Point Socket & Punch or eBay & Amazon have Toyota 30mm Front Axle Lock Nut Remover Kit which works great

· 17mm Socket for the Tie Rod, Stabilizer Bar, Ball Joint Assembly & Brake Caliper

· Pliers, Channel Lock, or Vise Grip for turning the inverted Tie Rod Nut & some Wire or Rope for the Brake Caliper

Torque Specifications

Order of Disassembly

· Remove Tire

· Remove Axle Nut

· Remove Speed Sensor

· Remove Brake Caliper

· Remove Rotor

· Remove Tie Rod

· Remove Axle

· Remover Hub Assembly

Order of Reassembly

·Reinstall Hub Assembly & Dust Shield

·Reinstall Speed Sensor

·Reinstall CV Boot Dust Shield

·Reinstall Axle

·Reinstall Ball Joint Assembly

·Reinstall Tie Rod

·Reinstall Upper Stabilizer Bar

·Reinstall Axle Nut

·Reinstall Rotor

·Reinstall Brake Caliper

·Reinstall Tire

Tools You'll Need

· 1/2 Torque Wrench

Torque Specifications

Order of Disassembly

· Remove Tire

· Remove Axle Nut

· Remove Speed Sensor

· Remove Brake Caliper

· Remove Rotor

· Remove Tie Rod

· Remove Axle

· Remover Hub Assembly

Order of Reassembly

·Reinstall Hub Assembly & Dust Shield

·Reinstall Speed Sensor

·Reinstall CV Boot Dust Shield

·Reinstall Axle

·Reinstall Ball Joint Assembly

·Reinstall Tie Rod

·Reinstall Upper Stabilizer Bar

·Reinstall Axle Nut

·Reinstall Rotor

·Reinstall Brake Caliper

·Reinstall Tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good write up! Wish it had been there when I did mine on my 2005. As it was, it took me a day on each side accompanied by much swearing. My bearings were noisy at about 150k miles, then I replaced them. Vehicle went close to 300k miles before I traded it in on a 2013 v.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel Bearings

I have a 2008 Prius with 163,000 miles. At approximately 115,000 miles the front wheel bearings began to make noise. By 118,000 they were pretty noisy. I had both bearings replaced at a cost of approximately $950.00. I have never had a front wheel bearing replaced in a Toyota before. I drove a 1995 Camry for 410,000 miles (when it was stolen). Never had a problem with any of the wheel bearings. I did have to replace a rear wheel bearing on my 2006 Tundra 4x4 at 46,000 miles (covered under warranty). Factory said that the seal leaked and let water get into the bearing - same bearing as used on the Sequoia at that time and they also had problems with leaking seals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts