Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I'm in oakland, and I sent my fastrak transponder in 10 days ago to be replaced with a new "hybrid" transponder for the stickers. nothing yet. how long did it take some of you to recieve your new transponder back?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sent in my cancel account form over a month ago. Nothing.

They are not too snappy at giving money back either.

Robert

·
Registered
19 Posts
We opened our account online the first day it was all announced - before they mentioned anything about needing a special hybrid transponder. So We got our stickers but never got a transponder. We don't need it so didn't care except that they charged us for it. I cancelled my account but haven't gotten any response - don't know yet if they have credited by credit card account yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And, I actually got two of THOSE that I really don't need or want.

You will have to go to SF office if you REALLY REALLY want it resolved pronto. They open on Saturday if that helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
j_oakland said:
hi, I'm in oakland, and I sent my fastrak transponder in 10 days ago to be replaced with a new "hybrid" transponder for the stickers. nothing yet. how long did it take some of you to recieve your new transponder back?
You don't need to send in your old transponder - just send a copy of the last Fastrak bill as a proof that you have a transponder and for them to record the transponder number you are using. That's it. I did that and got my sticker with no problem in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sent my old transponder in last Thursday (put it in the mail Thursday afternoon). Received one back yesterday. I'd say to call Fastrak, but I've trying off and on all day (because they forgot to send me the velcro strips) and their posted number doesn't work. You might want to try checking up on your status online.

Jeff

P.S. I found it interesting that they sent me back a used transponder. It might even be the same one I sent back to them, just reprogrammed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My neighbor got a used one also, and it was pretty beat up. It was not the one she sent in to be replaced, though, so I doubt if they are just reprogramming them.

I went in person, and got a brand new one. Don't know if this makes a difference, though. It was probably just the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For those that have replaced existing transponders, has anyone noticed a dfference in performance? I received a "hybrid" transponder to replace pre-hybrid one (it looks new) and have had the need to use it only 3 times so far. Two of those times it failed to register at the toll plaza. Since I don't use it often, it will take a while to determine if it is actually defective. The transponder that was replaced only failed to register once in over a year of use (about 20 uses). Just wondering how other "hybrid" transponders are performing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not sure I actually HAVE a hybrid transponder, I don't see any classic "green strip" that they talk about on it. So far I've used it 5 times and it's failed once.

If it doesn't beep, don't worry, they match the license plate with the account number and do a deduction manually.

·
Registered
59 Posts
paul16451 said:
I'm not sure I actually HAVE a hybrid transponder, I don't see any classic "green strip" that they talk about on it.
Actually it's a 3/4" diameter green dot (like you can get at a stationery store). Mine is in the upper corner opposite the serial number. Anyway, I'm still waiting for the second "failure" to show up on my account. Seems to take about a week. I wonder what their normal failure rate is and how they handle accounts/transponders that do it a lot...

·
Registered
35 Posts
CarMyne said:
paul16451 said:
I wonder what their normal failure rate is and how they handle accounts/transponders that do it a lot...
I wouldn't recommend this, but a co-worker says he keeps his transponder in the mylar bag ALL THE TIME. He just lets them catch him via the camera, discover he's a customer, then automatically bill him. I was surprised by this, because I was ticketed the one time it didn't register for me, but he says he never gets a ticket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
#1 - Fastrak will intentionally take 30 days to refund money on a returned transponder. I just called them today. Returned one on 9/27. They said they leave the account open to make sure there are no more charges on the account, then will refund the money after 30 days. The service rep said "hopefully within 30 days". He said they sometimes take longer.

#2 - My hybrid transponder has not been working very well either. Very sporadic operation. Looks like leaving it on the dashboard has problems. Fastening it to window above the rear view mirror seems to work better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did finally get a notice that my account was closed, and my
charge card credited.

Seems funny to keep the account open 30 days for pending charges
when they never sent me a transponder.

I should feel lucky they did not charge me for not returning the
transponder they never sent me...

I think that is a triple negative...

Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious...what happens if you use the 'hybrid' transponder while using it in another car??? 'how do it know'?.. assuming the transponder is recognized...and why should CALTRANS care which transponder is used.. I guess I could get another transponder..after all they are free ...and get charged only when you pass the bridges etc..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I doubt that there is any electronic difference between a 'hybrid' transponder and a 'non-hybrid' one. The one thing they can do is track the serial number and monitor carpool lane usage. They could do some sort of cross check with the license plate image but I doubt it. If any transponder fails to register and the vehicle is not associated with a FasTrak account, then I assume the vehicle owner gets a ticket. Therefore all my vehicles are on my account and I still have a non-hybrid transponder (but it doesn't get much use).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just went right to the office in SF, I didn't wanna wait since hearing how long thay have been taking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts