Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently living in Tulsa, OK but will soon move to Baltimore, MD. The dealerships here tell me there's a 40-deep waiting list that takes 6-8 months to get to the top of. Are waiting lists this long elsewhere? Should I sign up here, or in Baltimore (where these types of cars will be more popular)? Is there a faster way to find these cars?

Cheers,
Clyde

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
it's a national thing.

If you go to Toyota's Prius page (http://www.toyota.com/prius/ ) there is this graphic note:
"Thank you for your interest in the 2004 Prius. Currently, dealers are experiencing a temporary shortage of Prius vehicles. Click here for more"
Which brings you to this page: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/pri ... ility.html
"If you are in the market for a new 2004 Prius, we appreciate your patience. There is currently a waiting list at many dealerships across the country. Since the vehicle launched in October of 2003, there has been an extremely high demand for the 2004 Prius with Hybrid Synergy Drive. Toyota is making every effort to increase production to try and respond to the current high levels of demand. We'd like to thank you for your patience. For more information about the Prius inventory situation in your area, please visit your local dealer. "

two US dealers just posted their regions' allocation info for April. The entire New England region is only getting 98 Prius for the 1st half of April (double than the amount in the past). The LA region (southern CA, 74 dealers) is getting 209 cars for the 1st half of April...

I'd suggest putting your name in at dealerships at both locations, but I'd suspect that you'll move before your car comes in!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clyde,
I live in Silver Spring, MD and walked in to test drive a Prius in January, found the exact car I wanted would be available in 2 days, and drove off in my Prius 2 days later. Larger dealerships are getting in cars. Although someone on this site complained about Darcars Toyota and said they were jacking up prices, I got mine at a reasonable price, the customer service has been terrific, and I am very satisfied with the deal. I also LOVE my car, especially now with gas prices going through the roof!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's what I'm finding around Baltimore...

We live northwest of Baltimore and I've visited and called most of the area dealers. Most are quoting a wait of 5 to 8 months, and saying it will probably be an 05 model. Darcars in Frederick says 3 to 5 months. Hanover Toyota in Pa told my yeseterday that it would be about 5 months to get a specific model, but they have cars come in that are not spoken for and they just call down the list and see who wants it. Currently, there were only 9 people on their list. So, theoretically, it could be less time.

We're probably going to get on both lists and see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
More info for you Clyde.

I got on the waitlist at Darcars in Frederick, Md. last night and the salesman there is predicting a 3-4 month wait. However, he did say that his last allocation dropped "precipitously", so no guarantees. They usually get something like 9 and last time they only got 3. He also said that once you're on the list, you can pass on a car when it comes in and still stay at the top. So you might want to get on the list now and if you haven't moved yet, just ask to wait until you get there. i.e. you don't lose your spot in line if you ask to wait another month or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts